Caught in the Line of Fire

Chapter 8

I woke up to Christina singing loudly in the shower. I groaned not wanting to be woken up yet. I sighed and got up not paying attention to where I was walking when I ran into a soft, smooth, warm body. I looked up to see Christina grinning at me. "Haven't we ran into each other before?" She asks and I grin remembering how I met her. I smile kissing her neck before walking into the bathroom to take a shower.

I watched as Valerie walked into the kitchen with her pajamas on and hair untouched. I grinned watching her plop down onto a chair. "Dang your beautiful in the morning sweetheart!" I say and she turns and grins at me. "So are you with your work jacket on! You know... The one that doesn't have blood on it? The one that says your last name on the front so you don't forget?" She teases and I pout. "Your mean to your mom" I say and she smiles sitting on my lap. "I love you and you know it" she says and I smiled as she kisses my cheek. I rubbed her back placing my head on her shoulder. I watched Christina make pancakes for Vince, Sylus, and Kent when she stopped and turned to look at me. She smirks and walks over to me, kissing my head.

"Do you want to go on a walk later?" I ask causing her to smile. "Of course!" She says grinning. I haven't been able to spend as much time with her lately. Valerie smiles and gets up from me and makes her way towards the stairs to get ready for school. I feel Sylus rub my back and I smile back at him before getting up and grabbing my gun and putting it in the back of my pants. Even though I don't have work today I need it for protection. I never get in trouble for it because I'm a cop and I'm allowed to have a gun.

I watch Vince, Kent, and Sylus get up and grab their coats. "Your all leaving?" I ask as they turn around. "Yeah, I have work and so does Sylus. I don't know what Kent's doing..." Vince says and I smile looking at Kent. "I'm meeting a girl..." He says and I roll my eyes. "Have fun..." I say and he smirks before kissing my cheek and walking out the door.

I looked over at Christina who pouts looking at the stack of pancakes. "I made all of these damn pancakes and they all leave!" She says throwing the spatula into the sink, the batter flying everywhere. I grinned seeing some batter had landed on her cheek. She took a deep breath and turned towards me, folding her arms over her chest. I grinned wiping the batter from her cheek, bringing it to my mouth. She smiled and started to clean up the mess she had made when I grabbed her wrist, pulling her back up into a standing position. "What?" She asks and I smile looking into her eyes. She grins and runs her fingers over my cheek and kisses my forehead. "Your green eyes are so beautiful. There's just something about them that says your tuff but soft to the ones that you love at the same time" she says causing me to blush. She giggles and I help her clean up the rest of the mess. I turned towards her pinning her to the counter by placing my hands on either side of her.

"Was it hard for your mother and father to except the fact that you were a lesbian at first?" I asked and she looked at me confused. "Um... Not my father surprisingly. He was happy that I would have someone that he knew would protect me. My mother on the other hand was kind of concerned. She was worried that I would change and stuff but in the end she loved you." She says and I nod. "Why?" She asks and I shrug. "They don't visit as much as my mom does...." I say looking into her eyes. "I was worried that they didn't like me...." I said looking at our feet.

She sighed and lifted my face up, cupping it in her hands. "Tara, they love you and Valerie, they're just busy and live in another state" she says and I nod. "Okay" I whisper and she frowns kissing my cheek. "Do you want to go on the walk now?" She asks and I nodded waiting for her to change.

I watched as she locked the front door and put her sunglasses on. I felt her look at me even though I couldn't tell anymore. She smiled looking at my jacket. "Is that a new work jacket?" She asked grinning, taking my hand in hers and intertwining our fingers. I smile looking at her through my sunglasses. "No, I just never wear it..." I say and she shakes her head grinning. "It looks good" she says and I nod looking ahead as we near the city.