Caught in the Line of Fire

Chapter 12

Authors Note: I'm sorry that I haven't upload for two weeks. I had softball games. Sadly, there is only two chapters left of this book :(

I pulled up to a large dusty field with several tents and army trucks. I got out followed by my men and family. I took a deep breath feeling the hot dry air fill my lungs.

I watched as a man in a green army uniform approached me. The sand blowing between us. My sunglasses shielding my eyes from the suns blinding rays.

"Hello I'm General Rodriguez.. You are from New York correct?" He asks with a thick Mexican accent. I nod and he holds out his dry cracked hand to me. I take it in mine and he smiles. "Where is your Commander at?" He asks and and I raise my eye brows.

"I'm the Commander." I say and he laughs as if I've told a joke. "No seriously. Where is he?" He asks and I glared at him removing my sunglasses. My men shift uncomfortably as the man laughed. They knew that if he wasn't a general I would have punched him in the face.

"There is no male commander. I'm the only commander." I snap and the man stops laughing immediately. "But on the paper it said to look for Commander Jackson-Perri?" He said confused. "Yes. I'm Tara Jackson-Perri. At work it's just Jackson." I say and the man looks embarrassed.

He rubs the back of his neck and looks at the dirt on the ground. "I'm very sorry then Commander Jackson. It was an honest mistake." He said and I nod smiling at him. "It's no problem. I know it's strange to have a girl command a whole team. Thank you for letting us stay here." I say and he smiles motioning me to follow him.

I follow as he leads me to a big green tent. He un-zips the opening and I step inside. It is hot inside of the tent but it has a cot and a desk inside. I smile and turn to him. "It's nice" I say and he nods. "This is your tent. Your wife can stay to." He says and I frown. "What about my daughter?" I ask and he smiles. "She's staying with them." He says pointing to Kent, Sylus, and Vince. I smile and nod. "That's fine" I say knowing that she wouldn't get hurt.

I sigh and watch everyone leave, leaving Christina and I alone. "How do you like it?" I ask sitting on the cot. "It's better than I expected." She said sitting on my lap. I smiled and kissed her neck laying my head down on her shoulder. "But I didn't like it when that man started laughing at my wife." She said looking at me. I chuckled and kissed her softly. "I know but most men don't believe it when I tell them either." I say as she rubs my back.

"What are we doing today?" She asked as I watched her unload the suitcase. "Um... I'm going to get Ryder. Your staying here." I say and she stops putting things on the floor to look at me.

She sighs thinking. "Fine" she says defeated. "Babe what did you want to do? We're in a desert!" I say and she rolls her eyes. "I'm aware of that Tara. I just thought that today you would rest but I guess not." She says sitting next to me. I take her hand in mine and look into her eyes. "The sooner we get him the sooner we can go home." I say and she nods leaning onto the pillow. I smile and get up looking around the tent. It's very large but very empty.

I feel Christina's arms go around my waist and I smile turning to face her.

I was about to kiss her when a voice came over my radio. I pulled away and pushed the button to speak. "Repeat that." I said and waited.

"We're leaving to get him." I heard Kent say and I sighed turning to Christina who had tears in her eyes. She knew I was leaving.

I felt my heart ache and held her tightly in my arms. "It's going to be okay baby. I'm going to come back with him and we're going home okay?" I said trying to assure her. "What if he hurts you?" She says and starts sobbing. I rub her back and kiss her cheek. "He's not going to sweetheart." I say and wipe her tears away.