Caught in the Line of Fire

Chapter 11

Authors Note: Sadly there are only a few chapters left until I finish this book and start on a new one. :)

**Two Weeks Later**

"Tara get up. We have great news!" Christina says shaking me lightly. I groan and turn towards her to see my whole team in my room with Karen grinning.

I sit up and feel the black comforter fall to my waist, exposing my stomach. I was wearing a bra so I didn't really care if they saw. I swung my legs over the side and sat at the edge of the bed staring at everyone. I raised my eye brow when they didn't speak.

"Well?" I ask and Christina rolls hers eyes. "Quit staring at my wife!" She snaps at my men and they immediately stare at the floor. I smile and look at Karen. "What's the good news?" I ask and she smiles. "We-" "babe can you get some clothes on first?" Christina asks interrupting Karen. I reluctantly get up and walk to my closet. I pull on a black shirt and jeans and then turn towards them.

"You can tell me now." I say and Karen grins. "We got permission to cross the border. We're staying at a base a little ways from where we think Ryder is located. I also managed to get Visa's for Christina and Valerie." She says looking at Valerie and Christina with a smile.

"That's great!" I said and pulled Karen into a tight hug. "Are you going?" I ask and she frowns. "I don't know if you'll need me. The army said that they're going to help you so I'm not really needed." She said as I was still holding onto her. "Okay" I said and walked over to Kent and pulled him into a hug. I smiled feeling her protective arms go around my waist and rub my back. "Your finally gonna get him." He whispered causing me to grin with happiness.

I asked everyone to go to the living room so that Christina, Valerie, and I could talk.

I looked at the sad expression on Valerie's face. I pulled her into a tight hug. "Hey, don't be upset. Your going to see her again. We're probably going to be there for only a week or so." I say and she nods. "How do you guys feel about it?" I ask sitting on the bed. I watch Christina take a deep breath and run her hand through her hair. She only does that when she's stressed or tired. "Babe talk to me" I say watching her.

She looks at me with one hand at her side and the other on her hip. "I'm just nervous." She whispers. I nod wrapping my arms around her. "And scared." She mumbles. I rub her back as she puts her head on my shoulder. "I know sweetheart but you both will be better protected at the base. There's more men there to protect and take care of you when I'm gone. I can't leave you guys here because Ryder might try something. I feel better knowing that you both will be with me." I say kissing her on the head. "I know" she replies placing her hands on my waist, putting her thumbs in the belt loops of my pants.

I sigh and walk downstairs to my team and smile. "When are we leaving?" I ask and Karen looks up at me from the magazine that she was reading. "Tomorrow...." She says and I raise my eye brows. "Damn that's early." I say and she nods. "I know..." She says and I smile walking into the kitchen. I turn towards Christina who eyes me suspiciously. "Um.... We're...." I didn't know how to tell her we were leaving tomorrow...

"We're?" She asks getting closer to me.

"Leaving tomorrow..." I finally say and her mouth drops open. "Are you serious!? That's not enough time Tara!" She says and I nod knowing she would get upset. "I know babe but that's the only time that we could come!" I say and she rolls eyes. "Why did Karen wait until the last minute to tell us then?!" She says and Karen looks up. "I found out today!" She yells back and I sigh. "Then why did you-" "Christina that's enough! She only found out today! You can't get mad at her. She worked hard to get those things for us. Please don't argue with her." I say and she rolls her eyes and walks up to our room slamming the door behind her. I sigh and look at Karen. "She isn't mad at you. She's just nervous." I say and she nods going back to reading the magazine.

After an hour without being with Christina I start to miss her. I sigh and get up making my way up the stairs, and to our room. I softly knock on the door not hearing anything from the other side. My heart starts to speed up as I unlock the door and storm in seeing her asleep on the bed. I smile seeing how adorable and peaceful she looks when she's sleeping.

"Babe wake up." I say softly kissing her cheek. She smiles and opens her beautiful brown eyes and leans up to kiss me.

"How long have you been asleep?" I ask rubbing her stomach. "An hour" she replies sitting up. I sit next to her and lay my head down on her shoulder. "I'm sorry we had such short notice on when we were leaving." I say and she nods kissing my temple. "It's okay. I shouldn't have blamed Karen." She says and I nod.

She smiles pushing me back on the bed. My body laying half way on the bed. She leans over me and brushes her lips over mine. I grin and wrap my arms around her body, bringing her lips onto mine. I smile into the kiss when I feel her tongue slide over my bottom lip. I open wider feeling her tongue attack mine. I grin breaking the kiss for air, she smiles rubbing my neck.

"We need to pack." She says and gets up, grabbing the suitcases that we keep in the closet. I smile and walk half way down the stairs. "You guys can go home to pack." I say and they nod getting up from their seats around the living room.

"I'm sorry for getting mad at you earlier Karen!" Christina says brushing past me on the stairs. "It's fine" she says as Christina pulls her into a hug.

I smile and walk back to Valerie's room seeing her already packing. "You can have Ashlynne stay the night tonight if you want." I say. She grins turning towards me. "Okay" she says and grabs her phone to call Ashlynne.

After our suitcases were packed and ready and we had eaten supper Christina and I were sitting at the kitchen table staring at each other. I placed my hand over hers and she smiled taking it in hers. "You have nothing to be afraid of." I say and she nods staring at the gloss covered hard wood table. She ran her other hand over it and looked up at me, her brown eyes shining. "What if you get hurt? I wouldn't be able to take it Tara. I'm already scared to death just when you leave for work every morning!" She says and I sigh.

"Honey I've been doing this for so long your just going to have to trust me on this." I say running my thumb over her knuckles. "I know but you don't know what he's going to do." She says arguing with me. "I know sweetheart but I will be ready this time, and so will my men." I say trying to reason with her. She sighs and nods getting up. "I'm tired. Lets go to bed." She says grabbing my hand and leading me up the stairs.

"Come on Valerie we really need to leave!" I say watching her say goodbye to Ashlynne. I watch as she kisses Ashlynne deeply and walks towards the car, putting her suitcase in the trunk.

As we get on the deserted road towards Mexico I see my team behind me. I smile and look at Christina. "We're almost there." I say and she nods looking out of the window. I take her hand in mine and bring it to my lips.

My phone starts to vibrate and I notice that I don't recognize the number.

"Hello?"

"Tara! I haven't heard your beautiful voice in a long time!" I know it's Ryder.

"What do you want?" I say angrily.

"Just to see how my favorite girl is doing!" He says and I roll my eyes.

"What the hell do you want?!" I yell into the phone and he chuckles.

"You know I don't like it when you yell. I just wanted you to know that I now that your coming." He says and disconnects the connection.

I growl and put my phone down seeing Christina stare at me. She knew it was him.

I watch as a toll booth comes into view and I smile. I slow down and stop at the booth showing him my badge. "N.Y.S.F?" He says taking the badge. "Yes." I say and he nods looking at Valerie and Christina. I hand him their Visa's and he looks over them before handing them back to me. "Your clear. I'm guessing the people behind you is your team?" He says and I nod.

I watch as the gate opens and just like that were in Mexico. Ryder can't hide anymore. We've found him and he's not getting away this time.