Caught in the Line of Fire

Authors Note: I'm sorry I haven't uploaded in such a long time :( I've been busy with school but luckily school is over and I will be able to upload more often! But now I have softball... :D

Chapter 4

"Mom"

I hear Valerie say as I am about to put my shirt on. "What is it sweetheart?" I ask watching her look down to the floor. "Can I talk to you?" She asks finally looking up at me. "Of course" I say looking at the bed and watching her sit down on it. I put on a normal t shirt and sit down next to her waiting for her to start. "It's about me and Ashlynne... I don't think that she likes me anymore..." She says as a tear drops down from her cheek to the bed sheet. I rub her back and make her look at me. "Valerie, all that you need to do is talk to her. She is just probably confused. You've been dating for almost a year now. Why would she get bored?" I ask and Valerie just shrugs. "I don't know, there's this guy at school that keeps talking to her and its starting to irritate me." She says laying down and pulling me down with her. She lays her head down on her chest as I rub her back. "It's good that you haven't beaten him up first of all. And second, you guys haven't been spending as much time together as you usually do. Before your softball game go see her, okay?" I say and she nods. "Thanks mom" she says and kisses me on the cheek. "You welcome" I say smiling.

"Would grandpa have excepted you?" She asks suddenly and my heart drops. She's talking about my dad. Valerie knew what happened to him because we told her when she was ten and started crying even though she never met him. "Um... Yeah, I think he would have. He was a very understanding person." I say and she nods. "You still miss him don't you?" She asks sitting up to look at me. "Yes, I always wanted him to see his beautiful granddaughter and grandson." I say and she nods kissing my forehead. "Did grandpa give you that bear that you gave me when I was little?" She asks and I smile remembering the teddy bear. "Yeah, when I was seven I was crying one night and he walked into my room with that teddy bear. He said 'if your ever upset and I'm not here just hug this little bear and it's like I'm here with you" I say choking up from the memory. I wipe the tear that has suddenly fallen down my cheek and watch Valerie. "Is that why you were so upset when I thought that I had lost it?" She asks and I nod. "But you found it" I say smiling. I watch as Valerie gets up and walks out of the room to come back a second later with the teddy bear. "What did you name him?" She asks handing me the small brown bear. I giggled "I named him Mr. Bear" I say and Valerie giggles. "Wow, how original" she says causing me to smile. "I was seven!" I say in defense causing her to giggle more. "What did you name him?" I ask and she smiles "Sam" she says and I smile pulling her into a hug. "When can we go visit his grave again?" She asks and I sigh. "Maybe today if its okay with your mom and your softball game doesn't run late" I say and she nods. We always visit his grave on Fathers Day and his birthday. Today isn't a holiday but sometimes we just visit.

My phone rings and Valerie gets up and leaves to give me some privacy. "Hello?" I say and smile hearing Sylus's voice. "

"Hey, um... Ryder has requested to see you at the prison..." He says and my mouth drops.

"Why?" I ask and I hear him sigh.

"I honestly don't know... But you have to... It's required. They let him call one person to visit him and he said your name"

"Dammit, fine I'll go. When do I have to go?" I ask.

"Now, I have to go. Be good."

"Bye"

I say and hang up running my hand through my hair. I really didn't feel like seeing him again. I walk down the stairs and see Christina playing on her phone. "I have to go for a few hours. I'll be back in time for Valerie's game" I say kissing Christina and walking out of the door. I didn't want to tell her where I was going for her and Valerie's protection.