Chapter 14: My First Thrust

A hallucination is a fact, not an error; what is erroneous is a judgment based upon it.

Bertrand Russell 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My breath started to turn shallow and I closed my eyes dragging a deep breath in. When I opened my eyes, my parents weren't there in front of me.

Hope surged. I blinked again and... they were there.

Cold and dead.

What the...?

It hadn't been five seconds since I'd dropped to the floor, cheeks tear stained, hands... blood stained when the bathroom door wrenched out of it's seams and fell to the floor with Nathan on the other side.

Had he pushed it?

No his hands were fisted at his sides.

His eyes, however, were looking around wildly for me. Lights poured in, outlining his profile and he looked like an avenging angel. His eyes zeroed in on me and he took in my face and took two long strides and kneeled next to me, bundling me up in his arms. He ran his hands up my arms, around my waist, over my face, checking if I was okay.

But he hadn't even once looked at my dead parents.

Like they weren't there at all.

"What you doing on the floor, baby?" he asked, concern etched on his face, even as his eyes flickered around behind me to assess if there were any threats.

I swallowed and spoke.

"What do you see, Nathan?"

His eyebrows drew together.

"I see my mate in distress. What's wrong?"

"I can see my parents dead. I can see blood on my hands." I said.

Nathan stiffened as his eyes widened and he looked down at my hands.

"There's nothing there, Kitten." he said slowly, after raking his eyes around the clean restroom.

I let out a breath in relief and sagged against Nathan. 

"I saw them, Nathan. I swear! My dad's throat was slit and my mom had bullet wounds." a sob broke out, but I continued "their blood bled into my hands. They were just lying there.. and I couldn't do anything."

His jaw had clenched and his eyes had hardened with anger. Not at me, I realized.

He murmured something under his breath, too low for me to catch. The owner of the restaurant and a few other waiters had followed Nate in and were standing around us, their anxious eyes trained on Nathan... like they were waiting for his instructions. 

Nathan said something to the owner who snapped at his waiters and they shuffled away quickly.

I was looking down at my hands and saw that they were clean and pale from how tight I'd fisted them. I loosened my fingers and watched blood rush back into them.

What had I seen? Was I going crazy? Hallucinations?

"No." Nathan said and I looked up surprised. He placed his hands my cheeks, wiping away my tears with his thumb.

"I know what you're thinking. Someone has done this. It's not you."

I nodded in reply. What else could I do?