Chapter 21: The Meeting and Sara's Torture Machine

“You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them.” 
― John Green

------------------------------------------------------------

He didn't follow me.

And I didn't expect him to.

Yes. I wanted him to, but didn't expect it.

I'd just confessed my feelings to him in the worst possible time. Then again, maybe it was the best possible time.

I stopped and ran my hands through my hair.

Why was this happening? Why were we fighting each other despite being on the same team?

"Indigo?"

I looked up to see Maya, her hair loose from her bun and looking at me with concern that reminded me of my mother.

Containing a sob, I ran to her and she enveloped me in a hug.

"I've been looking for you everywhere." she said, patting my hair.

I didn't say anything, I just pulled away, embarrassed at hugging her like that.

"Why didn't you come to me before?" she asked, crossing her arms and looking at me sternly.

I tucked my hair behind my ears, before speaking.

"I didn't precisely have proof that any of this was happening... " I said slowly.

"It doesn't matter. You should've still come." she said.

I nodded.

"I will from next time. I'm sorry."

She pursed her lips at me, unhappily.

“I came to tell you that the Council is here, Indigo. And they know that you’re the only Empath here and that that message was intended for you. So they want to talk to you tomorrow.”

My eyes widened and I swallowed.

“Um…like a meeting?” I asked.

She nodded.

“In front of the whole Council?”

She nodded again, her brows scrunched in confusion.

I sighed. Great.

I nodded in resignation.

“I’ll be there.”

“Eight in the morning, sharp. Someone will come to collect you.” she said.

I nodded again. I really did NOT want to talk about everything that happened with Nathan’s mother there looking at me with her piercing green eyes that despite being the same as her son’s, was still worlds apart.

She placed a hand on my shoulder and squeezed comfortingly and murmured.

“Take care, Indigo.”

I watched her turn and walk away and prayed that no one else gets hurt because of me. No one deserved the death that Flynn faced.

No one.

His death was on me. Would always weigh me down for the rest of my life.

I couldn’t breathe for a few minutes, the weight of a life lost because of me, crushing my lungs.

No one will protect you better than you. Pull yourself up, Indy.

I crouched and sat down and placed my head between my knees and started to take deep inhalations.