The Contract

The Contract

Caine sat behind his desk and faced Raul. Zeke watched and listened as both men spoke. They were strong and intelligent, they had mutual interests but it was a tense confrontation and Zeke knew his insightful opinion would be needed.

‘You’re angry, I can see that,’ said Caine as he examined Raul’s cold expression, ‘so we’ll take that into account.’ Raul was scheduled to deliver two vampires to Caine’s warehouse but he arrived today empty handed. He explained the situation to Caine and told him of Christopher’s death. With a nod from Zeke, Caine decided to be forgiving.

Raul was the real slayer. Christopher had little experience in dealing with vampires but they came as a team. Raul knew they had a contract with Caine and he was wrong to torture one of the vampires to death. ‘That’s what happens when I get angry,’ said Raul as he waved his hand, acknowledging his mistake.

The three men sat in the office at the back of Baxter’s Butchers. Caine used it as a front company to launder drug money but on occasion, had extracurricular uses for the meat grinders and bone cutters in the other room. What’s more, the building was connected via an underground tunnel to Cube, West Lanton’s largest club. The police knew that Cube belonged to Caine but Baxter’s Butchers was his secret. No one ever saw him come in or go out – it was his refuge.

‘Zeke, suggest terms,’ ordered Caine, without taking his eyes off Raul. Caine disliked Raul, not because of his sexuality and not because of his race. He disliked him because he was emotional. It made him wild, vicious and disorganised. Perhaps it was the occupational hazard of dealing with vampires, day in and day out, but Caine had little time for excuses.

‘Dar’s bin lass on both sides,’ said Zeke in his slow and contemplative voice. His Jamaican accent was strong, despite having lived there for only a short time. ‘While ares has bin financial, the gantleman’s has bin parsonal. We’s gatta take that into some consideration now, as he must remember too the contract we’s agreed. We were due the two mar, we paid the man in advance but are goods have not bin delivared. So we’ll demand three mar but will agree ta cover the gantleman’s funeral expenses and ather costs. We’ll also assist the gantleman in seekan the revenge he daserves on the condition the vampire in question is nat a protacted man. Naw would that be acceptable ta both parties?’

Caine and Raul both nodded in agreement. Caine was pleased and smiled on the inside. He used Zeke’s wisdom and judgement as a powerful negotiating tool and knew Zeke would never suggest a course of action that went against his own strategy. Together they were a strong and foreboding force.

‘I know exactly where to start,’ said Raul as he remembered Valerie’s face. He promised himself to find the bitch and make her suffer slowly. She would know who killed his man and he would make her talk. ‘But first I need a drink,’ he added as he rubbed his eyes, ‘and I need to get this shit off my mind.’ With that, Raul stood up and wandered off out of the room. He was on his way to Cube.

Caine turned to Zeke. ‘When we have our three, we’re done with him,’ he said firmly, ‘I dislike Raul and Finch’s arrogance leaves a sour taste.’

‘Ay, that it does,’ Zeke agreed, ‘bat he pays us well man.’ Zeke was dressed in a long blue coat and wore a top hat on his head. His dreadlocks were dark and threatening and flowed down past his face. Altogether, he had an ominous presence.

‘That he does my brother,’ said Caine as he glanced down at his wrist. A piece of silver glistened out from within his skin, a cruel reminder of risk and reward. ‘But vampires are dangerous and the closer we get, the stronger they bite.’ Zeke nodded in agreement. ‘Now, about that other business we discussed,’ Caine concluded, ‘I’ve decided, I want it done tonight.’

follow@PrincePegasus