Confessions

Confessions

The University of Lanton lay to the northwest of the city. The campus was spectacular with a diverse selection of historic and modern architecture. Winchester Library dated back to the 1700’s. The Logan School of Business and Law ranked among the country’s top. The newly finished Finch Building, home to the College of Science, housed the world’s most modern lab. The lake was beautiful on a sunny day and at night it caught the moonlight. Trees were dotted about the place which painted a leafy sight. As Valerie walked the campus, she wondered how different life could have been. It wasn’t meant to be.

Mallory Hall was a dormitory, hidden away on the edge of the campus. It was Aria’s new home. The building was nice inside but quieter than Valerie expected. She made her way to the second floor and finally found the place. She knocked. A noise came from within the room – mumbles, nervous whispers. Valerie knocked again.

Suddenly Aria opened the door. Her hair was wild and she looked surprised. She was barefoot and only a cotton green t-shirt that read I Love Cabbage covered her naked body. Valerie peered over her shoulder and noticed she wasn’t alone. A brunette lay in her bed. She was covered by Aria’s sheets but Valerie could tell she was naked. ‘What are you doing here Val,’ Aria asked? She couldn’t help but blush.

‘Get dressed and lose the girl,’ Valerie said smiling, ‘we need to talk.’

Five minutes later Valerie and Aria were out for a walk. They strolled past Leighton Hall and headed around towards the lake. They started by talking about the weather, the falling leaves and the coming winter. It was difficult at first and Aria knew something was up. Valerie had decided – tonight Aria deserved the truth.

‘So,’ Valerie said, pausing for a moment beside a bench, ‘you are still a virgin right?’ Valerie studied Aria’s expression as she looked away and smiled.

‘Yes I’m still a virgin,’ she replied, ‘kind of. With boys anyway,’ she laughed.

‘Well you’ll have to introduce me to miss smoky eyes sometime,’ Valerie added, ‘that girl was gorgeous.’

‘She’s nothing, we just met,’ said Aria, ‘I don’t know.’ Aria paused for a moment. She was nervous. ‘So... seriously Val, what’s been going on lately? I feel bad. I feel I’ve let you down as a friend. I’ve been really busy and I haven’t been there for you. That’s not right and I really...’

‘Stop Aria,’ insisted Valerie as she cut her off, ‘it hasn’t been your fault, it’s been me. Everything’s changing lately and, I guess I’ve been kinda, feeling lost.’

‘I saw Casper this morning,’ Aria replied, ‘he’s worried about you too.’

Valerie laughed. ‘Casper can be such a dork but he’s lovely. I think you’d really like him and look, next time you see him... tell him I’m ok.’

‘Val, I walked by your house the other night. I saw it. There was a fire there and... you didn’t tell me. What happened Val?’

‘I have something for you,’ Valerie said, ignoring Aria’s question. She reached into her pocket and pulled out the diamond bracelet. Aria was perplexed. ‘It reminded me of when we were kids, all those ideas we used to have.’           

‘Valerie what is this,’ Aria asked? ‘Where did you get this, how did you... how can you...’ Aria paused. ‘Val, I asked you a question... please answer me.’

Valerie sat down on the bench. She felt a little weak. She wanted to tell Aria that she was a vampire now. The fire was too much – feelings she desperately tried to repress.

‘Valerie please,’ Aria insisted, ‘I’m your best friend.’ Aria sat down beside her and placed her hand on Valerie’s. Aria was warm and concerned. Valerie was cold and was close to tears.

‘I had to get away from there,’ Valerie confessed, ‘from that place and from her. I’ve been hurting... really bad and, I’ve just felt like giving up. I did something stupid tonight... and I can’t take it back now. I just have to live with it. I...’ Valerie started to cry. ‘I had this plan... a way to start things over. I took a match and I started the fire. It was me.’

Aria wiped the tears from Valerie’s face and held her close to hers. ‘What about your mom Val, is she ok?’

‘No,’ said Valerie meekly as tears dripped down her face. ‘She got caught in the fire... that was the point, that was my plan... I killed her.’

Aria was shocked. She didn’t know what to say. All she could do was hold her best friend in her arms. She refused to let her go.

Valerie wiped her eyes. Her mother was a heartless wreck. She hurt her. She used her. She beat her, abused her – but she didn’t deserve to die. No one did. Not her mother. Not the police officer. Not the child. No one – not even her.

‘How touching,’ said a voice from behind. Valerie turned around. A man was standing before her silhouetted against the moonlight. A gust of air blew through his hair like fire dancing in the wind. He held a machete in his hand. It was long and sharp and shimmered in the distant light. Valerie felt sick – that man was Raul and he had come to play.

follow @PrincePegasus