Wrapped in Shadow

Wrapped in Shadow

The air smelled of blood. The sky began to brighten. Dawn was close at hand. Raul watched as his victim lay motionless before him. Valerie was silent now. He stood above her, triumphant and proud. He paused for a moment, imagining the possibilities – the sensation of skin slicing against his carless blade, the screams of pain breaking through the quiet night, the smell of dust blowing in the murderous wind. Raul wished her dead.

‘Get away from her,’ came the commanding voice of a man wrapped in shadow. Raul turned at once. All he could see was a figure, the outline of a man with a cigarette in his mouth. He held a lighter up to his face and lit it in a punishing glow. It was a solid and heavy silver piece that bore the design of a striking heart – a present to Christopher, now a message to Raul. The slayer realised at once. He had come face to face with the one he sought, the vicious vampire who stole his love. A heat engulfed his blood from within. Fury enraged his soul. The spirit of vengeance seized control as Jack emerged from the shadows. ‘Play time’s over.’

The vampire and the slayer collided in battle. Raul swung down with his cold machete but Jack kicked it from his hand. The slayer punched with power as the vampire returned the attack – striking through to make him pay as the slayer backed away. Raul was quick to move. He was experienced and well trained – light on his feet yet aggressive in his step. Jack fought with discipline, with authority and control – he was ready for this.

Jack delivered a blow to his chest and followed through with a punch from the right. The timing was perfect. He could feel the pressure, the movement of skin and flesh – the crunching of bone and the bane of brutal harrowing pain. Raul grunted loudly but buried the torture deep inside. Anger and adrenaline powered him now – a dangerous cocktail of vengeance and rage.

Raul unleashed a counterattack. He connected a punch and a furious kick – knocking Jack against a tree. The wood was solid and hard. The vampire’s body ached in pain – the slayer seized his chance. He punched the vampire in the head and hit him hard across the chin. He punched him again, harder now, unleashing his fists in mortal succession – harder and faster, following through with precision and depth. There was no let up – Jack needed to act. He needed to act now.

The vampire blocked the next attack and returned a heavy punch. Jack struck the slayer in the face and he kneed him in the ribs. He turned Raul against the tree – smashed him in fury and pummelled him in rage. Blood dripped down the slayer’s face. The vampire’s fangs were sharp and ready – he prepared himself to feed.

Jack could smell the blood. It drove him into frenzy. He held Raul with strength and sunk his fangs into his neck. The slayer’s skin was hard. His flesh was strong and tough – but the taste of his blood, was horrid!

The vampire tried to continue. He knew his enemy was weak – but the revolting flavour demanded release and Jack was forced to let him go. He spat the blood out of his mouth and slowly backed away. Raul was a user. Cocaine traces lined his blood but there was something more. Never before had Jack experienced such a putrid taste.

Raul smiled in the moment’s pause. He wiped the blood off his neck and licked it from his hand. ‘Cojones,’ he said with a sinister gaze, ‘we take precautions from yuma like you!’ Jack realised the truth – the disgusting taste was a means of defence, a protection against the vampire kind. That’s when Jack decided – he’d just have to kill him the traditional way!

Aria watched in horror as she struggled to her feet. Her face stung with pain as her legs froze in fear. The attacker, the slayer, was vicious. The stranger, the saviour, was demonic. Valerie lay unconscious, her friend – a vampire. She was confused. She was in shock. There was nothing she could do.

Raul lowered his eyes to the pavement below. There he saw a fallen branch, discarded from an autumn tree. Dangerously sharp, it was twisted and thick – it made the perfect weapon. He clutched the stake in his steady hand and raised it up in preparation. Slowly he moved – narrowing in upon his prey. He was poised to kill.

The enemies engaged in combat – this was a fight to the death! Jack forced his fist through the slayer’s face as Raul stumbled back in a dizzy haze. Blood dripped down his nose. He moved in closer to hit him again but was cunningly caught in the slayer’s grip. Raul held the vampire’s arm and tossed him down to the concrete below. Jack’s body tightened in crippling pain as Raul viciously kicked him against the ground. Jack grabbed his leg and pulled him down but the slayer lay on top. Raul punched him down across the face and forced the stake into his chest. The wood pierced his skin. Jack’s body burned of pain as he felt the stake move slowly inside. He held Raul by the neck and squeezed against his throat. With all his force he threw him down and smashed his head into the ground. Raul closed his eyes – punished now and brutalised.

Jack sat in pain but relished in his luck. The stake was buried inside his chest and barely missed his heart. He pulled it out in a violent move as blood dripped down in front. The sensation was excruciating, the wound was severe – his immortal body would slowly heal but that would take some time. He struggled up and looked around – there was Valerie on the ground. Jack bent down beside her and ran his head along her cheek. Her skin was soft and tender but her body was swollen and hurt. ‘You’ll be ok,’ he said with care, slowly squeezing her injured arm. Valerie was still unconscious, she couldn’t hear a thing.

Suddenly he heard a noise – Raul began to stir. The slayer stood to face his prey but slowly his eyes looked away. Instead they shifted left – to Aria. He rubbed his head in pain. It dripped of blood. He pulled a gun from behind his back and pointed it at the girl. Then he took her hostage. He held her from behind and pressed the gun against her head. ‘No jodas conmigo,’ he said, trying hard to catch his breath, ‘I’ll kill this fucking grilla.’ Jack listened on, watching as Aria trembled in fear. He knew Raul would do it.

Jack paused. He slowly circled Raul. He watched as the slayer returned his stare. The gun was trained on the girl. He waited – for the right moment and then, ever so suddenly, he acted! Jack pulled a knife from inside his coat and sent it flying through the air. The blade pierced the slayer’s shoulder and Aria was finally released. Jack grabbed her arm and pulled her close as Raul ripped the knife from inside his skin. He moaned out in a menacing rage. He pointed the gun at Aria again. He took aim – and fired!

Jack held Aria close. He covered her body with his. He stood in protection as bullets exploded against his back. One – burning his skin. Two – slashing his flesh. Three – shattering his bone. Four. He closed his eyes in unbearable pain and prepared himself for death. Five. A shot through the heart was all it would take. Six. Blood splattered down his back but there he stood in silence. He was still alive.

Jack opened his eyes at last, barely able to stand. Aria looked up in a gentle gaze. Her blonde hair covered her face. Her eyes were a wonderful blue – soft and warm, tender and true. She didn’t say a thing, she was too afraid to speak. His whole body throbbed in pain – he’d no longer be able to fight. Slowly he turned around but Raul had disappeared. Then he looked down to where Valerie lay. It was no use, she was gone – she’d been taken.

follow @PrincePegasus