Forced Authority

Forced Authority

Valerie lay in her cell. There was no escape. She was terribly weak and couldn’t move. Shining light glared down from above – spreading across her silver skin. It trapped her in exhaustion. Not strong enough to break the chain and it not long enough to reach the light – there was no escape. Should she manage the impossible task, similar light lined the way. The vampire’s skin was now its weakness. She tried to lick the polymer off. She spat on it, rubbed it, scratched it and scrubbed it – but it was no use. There was no escape.

Valerie gazed outside her cell, peering through the glass beyond. She set her eyes on a damaged man. The vampire sat inside its cell, sitting up against the wall. He looked cold, frightfully old and shockingly weak. He hugged his knees and trembled in fear – coughing out in anguish. What pain had he seen? What torment had he been subjected to? This factory of torture was hell on earth and Valerie knew that she was next.

A little later, Valerie opened her eyes. She had tried to sleep but chilling footsteps woke her up – the cold sound of heavy boots, slowly coming her way. She looked through the glass and held her breath. The steps grew louder, the sound of death. The men appeared, gas masks and all. She had to answer the torturous call.

The glass opened. The two men entered the cell. They took hold of Valerie and dragged her up, undoing the chain around her neck. Again she tried to struggle. Again they held her tight. ‘Remember now,’ Valerie said, ‘I’ve got to be home before midnight.’ The men said nothing. They just did their job. Valerie grew quiet, for deep within, she was afraid.

They took her again to basement six and dragged her to the testing room. Locking her tight against the chair, they took their place beside the door. It wasn’t long until the doctor appeared – his smug expression of righteous science, his clinical voice of experimentation, his cold hands of forced authority. Slowly they moved along her neck, assessing her skin for weakness and damage. ‘She’s healed up good,’ he said, happy with the result, ‘looks like we can move on.’

The nurse wasn’t far behind. She entered the room and checked her notes. She looked happy – lost and dethatched in the detail of work. To her, Valerie was nothing – a mere page of details, of vitals and results. Valerie decided, it was time to wake her up. ‘When I get out of here,’ she said, turning her head to face the girl, ‘I’m taking you with me to hell.’

‘We’ll be outside,’ the nurse replied, turning to her with a gentle smile. Then she moved in close. ‘Have fun you little bitch,’ she whispered slowly, taking pleasure in her words. With that she smiled again and at last she left the room. The doctor followed her out, sealing the door behind him, leaving Valerie alone with the men. They were the failsafe. They were there to keep her in line.

Suddenly Valerie heard a noise. The pipes above began to creak. Behind the tinted glass, the doctor was at work. Hitting buttons, twisting dials – he was eager to see the results. Then at last there came a hiss, the sinister sound of noxious gas that slowly filled the room. Valerie tried to struggle free but she was locked against the chair. Still too weak, she could barely move. All she could do was wait.

The guards watched from beside the door. The gas masks protected them but Valerie was out of luck. Already she could taste the change – air so stale, foul and strange. She couldn’t help but cough.

Valerie closed her eyes. Distant thoughts were her comfort, her only source of serenity and peace. She imagined Aria and the time they shared together – long nights, drinking and dancing, chatting and laughing. What had become of her now? Was she safe or was she dead?

Valerie held her breath. She didn’t want to breathe the air. The gas was visible and filtered through the room – a horrible shade of violet blue. What was its purpose, what damage could it do? She knew not, but still she could taste it on her lips. Detestable, decayed, rotten and revolting – surely it was lethal!  

Valerie imagined Casper – his gentle heart, his thoughtful friendship. He was there for her when no one else had cared. How could he forgive her, for what she was and what she’d become? How could he hope to understand?

Valerie couldn’t stop herself – she had to take a breath. Thick gulps of toxic air crawled into her lungs. The sensation was sharp and vicious. Cold and stark, it ripped her body from within. The gas burned deep inside and sent her into a sweat. Valerie moaned in anguish, coughing now without control.

Valerie imagined Alex – his brutal strength but protective force. He had taken her in. He had taught her about the world and he had opened his home. How did she repay him? She broke his rules and stole from him. He was right to cast her out.

Valerie screamed in pain. The torture was immense. The poisonous air reduced her to tears as she coughed in ragged fear. ‘Stop,’ Valerie screamed. ‘Please,’ she shouted again. She shut her eyes and prayed.

Valerie imagined Jack – a compassionate soul, as angry in life as she had been. What painful memories did he hold? What torment has he seen? How could it be, he understood her so well? He had saved her life and how did she respond – with ridicule and spite. She did not deserve him. All she deserved was death.

Valerie’s heart began to burn. Suddenly the vampire started to shake – her entire body trembled in fear. Salvia dripped down from her face as her eyes began to roll. No longer could she think. No longer could she focus. She was drifting away.

‘That’ll do,’ the doctor said, turning off the gas. Anything more would be fatal and he didn’t want to kill her now. He had other tests in mind. He turned to the nurse and smiled with pride. ‘We’ve just invented a vampire killer.’ He moved to the door and entered the room, breaking protocol as the alarm bell rang. Filling his lungs with toxic air he turned around in fresh delight. ‘And it’s harmless to all but them,’ he smiled, ‘the possibilities are endless!’ The nurse returned his smile. Today had been a success.

follow @PrincePegasus