Drive

Drive

Valerie lay on the side of the street, lost in the beauty of the stars above. She wasn’t angry, she was happy. The feeling of pain that seared through her body was a pleasure. It took away the suffering she felt deep inside. It freed her of her emotional burden. It was a sweet relief.

Nico dumped her at the back of the club. If it was his decision she’d be dead. There she lay as her body healed, listening to the sounds of the city night – noisy traffic on the street, muffled music from the club, aimless barking, cars parking, footsteps walking, people talking. Valerie rolled over. The side alley was quiet now and she began to feel herself. The pain grew faint but the emotional suffering slowly returned. Shame and disgust, sadness and fear – it was all too much.

A man emerged from Dark Desires. It was Sabian. Valerie lay hidden in the shadows and watched quietly as he moved. Sabian was Asian and dressed with style. He wore a dark v-neck shirt beneath an even darker blazer. Designer sunglasses covered his eyes and expensive boots adorned his feet. He walked like a model – his windswept hair was immaculate. He looked young but deep inside was a sick and dangerous man. He was a user, a practitioner of abuse.

Sabian approached a car – a 1969 Ferrari Dino. The red body was perfectly polished. White lights were sunken into the curvy bonnet. The wheels looked new and aggressive, ready to be taken on the road. The vehicle was dangerous, vicious and ferocious. Better still, it was in mint condition. Vampires and their classic cars – Valerie decided to join the club.

As Sabian played with the keys, checking messages on his phone, Valerie ran at pace through the darkness. In the last moment he turned but it was too late to save himself. Valerie leaped through the air and knocked him aggressively to the ground. She held him down and punched his head, bashing blows against his face. She was ruthless.

Sabian rolled over in pain as thick blood covered his eyes. Valerie picked up the keys and opened the door. He moaned out in disarray. He was disorientated and confused. He wiped the blood from his face and desperately tried to regain his focus. The car. The phone. The girl. Valerie. Attack. Bitch. His mind began to clear but Valerie now had disappeared – like a shadow in the night.

The Ferrari screeched across the road as Valerie turned the corner. She took hold of the gear stick and accelerated into third. The engine roared as she dodged her way past other cars, swerving through as she passed them by. Like a gunshot she blasted into fourth. No rules were broken. In Valerie’s eyes they didn’t exist.

Valerie was headed downtown. West Lanton bored her now. She approached a junction but the lights were red. She didn’t care. Fifth gear and on she went, thundering through with determination. Horns echoed in the night as she forced a car off the road and caused another to collide. Fire and smoke were left behind – destruction and devastation.

Sirens blared in pursuit. They chased her through busy streets, around tight corners and narrow bends. Valerie took a hard left and increased her speed. One hundred miles per hour. A blockade lay before her. One twenty. She turned the wheel and twisted by as the tires screeched against the road. Valerie slammed her foot on the pedal and off she shot again. A single car continued the chase. One thirty. The car couldn’t keep up. One forty. She had nearly escaped – but where was the fun in that.

Valerie jammed on the breaks and turned the car one eighty degrees. She opened the door and stepped outside, feeling the rumble of the ground. Valerie watched as the police arrived. One single car, there alone to take her in. Valerie smiled. 

‘Don’t move,’ shouted one of the men as he jumped from the car. He drew his gun. He was well trained, confident and steadfast. Valerie licked her lips. ‘Call it in,’ he directed to his partner, still seated in the car. Valerie listened to his words – African American, long dark hair, driving a Ferrari Dino.

‘You’ve caught me officer,’ Valerie said as she placed her hands on the hood. ‘Come get me,’ she added, bending over as he watched.

The man refused to hesitate. He took the handcuffs from his belt and stepped forward towards the girl. He leaned in and held her down, gripping her tight by her wrist. ‘You have the right to remain silent,’ he stated, but Valerie quickly cut him off. ‘I know,’ she replied, ‘but I like to be loud.’

Suddenly Valerie grabbed his arm. She twisted it, pulled it clean from the socket and snapped it in two. The officer screamed in pain as his partner froze in fear. He tried to punch her, lunging forward in desperation but Valerie was quick to move. She grabbed his head and threw him down against the ground. Blood splattered across the road.

Valerie turned her attention to the second man. His eyes were wide in trepidation. He was young, inexperienced and insecure. She could smell his fear. She leaped onto the hood of their car and began to smash at the glass. She broke on through and grabbed his neck, pulling him out in a forceful rage. Valerie studied her prey and finally let him go. The little thing had fainted.

‘Calling all units,’ Valerie said, playing with the radio, ‘African American, long dark hair, driving a Ferrari Dino. Don’t fuck with me.’

follow @PrincePegasus