Chapter 13

NOT EDITED

My mom left sometime that afternoon.

I had no idea how to feel. I barely know her. I didn't even know if I have the right to be angry.

Right now, I don't feel angry, I just feel tired. I'm physically exhausted.

"Lily?"

My eyes shuts at the comfort of the voice. My body relax and I let out a deep breath. I turned to look at Landon.

"It is late."

"I know." I reply

"You need to rest Lily. You are not well."

"I-" I stop what I was going to say. 'I'm fine. Do I look sick to you?' Instead it the words came out on their own.

"I know."

*************

"I saw your parents leave." Mrs. Ann said as she watered the tulips.

"Parent," is all I say in reply.

"Your pardon?"

"Just my mom came. I don't know where my dad is."

"Oh yes dear, of course." She sat beside me on the bench I was sitting on and slowly slid the book I was reading out of my lap.

"Why don't you go see Landon?" She said giving me a sweet, motherly smile.

"He working and I already take up so much of his time. I-"

"Oh, you talk nonsense. I know he would love to see you, and you know you need him."

I know.

Why is she always right?

*************

I hear his voice, and my body does the thing where it relaxes on its own.

It sounds like he's on the phone, so I slowly open the door, and sneak my body into his office.

His face is in one of his hands, and the other is connected to the
phone. The call must be really important if he didn't notice me come in.

"Just figure it out damnit, and call me back when you do. I don't want to listen to your bullshit." I flinch a little at the tone of his voice.

He slams the phone on the table, and now both of his hands are covering his head.

"Landon?"

He nearly jumps out of his seat in surprise.

"Lily, what are you doing here? How long have you been here?" He asked looking at me like he'd gone crazy.

"Not long," I say with a shrug, "but long enough to hear how upset you are."

"I didn't mean for you to hear-"

"Hush, I'm hardly sensitive to loud voice anymore." I walk over to his desk. "Why are you upset?"

"I was uh- I talking to one of my men in Italy. He was trying to locate your father." He told me running a hand through his hair.