Chapter: 23

River clasped in the floor of her dusty apartment. She just wanted to die, River cursed herself for her carelessnes. But her weeping was interrupted by the smell of puppy breath. She was being licked like crazy.

River sat up and laughed. "Quinn! I can see that you've missed me!" She pet and kissed the German Shepherd pup.

She loved little Quinn, the dog was only four months old at the most. "I have a treat for you!" River pulled out the croissant from her pocket and feed it to her pet.

"Who's been in here?!" River noticed dust marks everywhere, and her cornflakes weren't lying on the counter; and also apeared that Quinn had been feed puppy chow.

Then River gasped in fear. She heard foot steps from the floor above her.

"Come on Quinn." River said as she quickly packed Dick's backpack with her few things, pictures. Pictures of her and her mother.

She grabbed a belt and rapped it around Quinn's neck. Who sat happily wagging her tail.

River said a silent farewell to that old broken down home. And rushed Quinn and herself back to Wayne Manor.

River groaned as she shut the large door behind her. "BARK! BARK!" Quinn barked in alert as Dick came rushes over.

"River! Are you okay?!" Dick asked, the he noticed the dog. "Who's your friend?"

"That's Quinn." River said as she untied her dog, and Quinn then jumped on Dick, knocking him on the ground. Growled at him. "He's a friend." River muttered to the puppy, then Quinn started wagging her tail. And licked Dick's face.

"You never answered my question." Dick leaned up against the doorway, with crossed arms.

River sighed as she sat up, took out her earphones. "Nothing's wrong Dick, I'm fine." She lied, as she combed her fingers through her hair.

"Come on Riv, please?" Dick spoke solfty, as he nelt beside the bed.

"I'm fine." River turned her head, avoiding his gaze. And she gently stroked Quinn's ear, who was past out next it her on the bed.

Dick frowned, River wanted to tell him. But she knew from experience something would happen if she did.

Dick's face was full of concern. "Well you look fine." He said, as he gently place his hand on hers.

River sighed, she want to tell him so badly! But how? She barely knew Dick. "I was jumped in an ally okay?" She lied as she cloaked her face in shame. It wasn't hard since she didn't want to lie.

Dick's mouth hung open. "Did they-"

"No, they just wanted my money and stuff. I didn't give to them, of course." River tried to blink back a tear, but it just sleed down her cheek.

"How many?" He asked as his grip tightened.

"I don't know, four maybe." River looked down as saw that her tear had landed on the back of Dick's hand.

There was a moment of silence, River could tell that Dick's mind was racing. She wished she hadn't told him that, or cried. 'Tears are a sign of weakness.' She told herself, River spent most of her years in foster care, she was used to being beaten and cut. But when she saw the teen's face, River wanted to melt.

"Come with me." He said at last, he then helped her up. And lead River out of her room.