Prologue

He smiled at me when he saw me, as he walked down the hall to meet me at my locker. His bright green eyes almost twinkled with happiness behind his big black framed glasses and his hair didn't move an inch, slicked back the way he always had it, with too much gel. I was nervous because I knew what I had to do. Today was the day I had to break up with him. One month had passed already and it was the end. I didn't have to be with him anymore.

I had mixed feelings about all of this. In the beginning, it had just been a dare. A dare to date the biggest geek in our grade for one whole month. And this geek, the one in my friend Jenny's sight, just happened to be Harold. My group of friends had never turned down dares; it was simply against the rules to do so and hell, it made things interesting and fun, making us do out of the ordinary things every once in a while. We had never sat in a circle playing a game of truth or dare, it was more of something we did on a whim. If a dare came to mind, we just simply dared someone to do whatever it was that we had just thought of. It didn't happen often, but no matter what, no one turned anything down once. And with this dare that Jenny had sentenced me to, I had no choice other than to do it.

It was easier than I thought it was going to be, hanging out with Harold. He was actually very sweet and kind, unlike a lot of the boys I hung around. He was a gentleman, holding open doors and paying every time we went out somewhere together. His smile was genuine and it always lit up his eyes that he hid behind black framed glasses that were far too big for his face. I allowed myself to get to know him. He let me in easily and I found myself being exactly who I was, with him. A person that sometimes I had to hide around my friends because we were popular and I had an image to protect. But with him, I let my walls down.

I fought with myself over actually wanting to end things with him. I enjoyed my time with him much more than I ever thought possible and my feelings for him grew with each passing day even though feelings were never supposed to surface. I wasn't able to express anything to my friends about it, because I wasn't in the slightest, supposed to end up with feelings for this boy. I was simply just supposed to date him for one month and call it quits and we'd go on with our lives the way it was before him.

Two days ago, he told me he loves me. I never said anything in return, I just kissed him. Kissing him made me feel lighter. Like all the weight of the world had disappeared around me. He told me he didn't want me to say it back and he understood if I didn't feel the same way as he did, but he just wanted me to know that he had fallen for me. I wasn't surprised by his carefree attitude about it, because that's who he was. He didn't show a sign of disappointment that I hadn't felt that way about him yet and I wasn't going to say it back and lie. I had already lied to him enough. I knew at that moment that breaking up with him was going to be harder than I thought it was going to be and I instantly hated myself even more than when I first put the dare into motion.

My heart thudded in my chest as he leaned down slightly to kiss me when he finally reached me at my locker. I pressed my lips against his with force, knowing that there was a good chance this would be the last time I felt his soft lips against mine and I breathed it in just so I could remember it.

"We need to talk," I breathed out quickly, as soon as our lips had parted. I had to do it now. I had to get it over with. I couldn't lead him on any longer. Even though by now I knew I wasn't really leading him on because I did like him. I should have just been honest with him to begin with, because I knew that Jenny knew the month was up and if I didn't say anything right now, that somehow she'd have no problem doing the dirty work for me and I couldn't have that. 

His eyes widened with my words as I had trouble looking him in the eye. Everyone knows that when the words we need to talk are spoken, everything falls. It's written in stone that those words mean it's over, and despite the fact that I was his first girlfriend, he wasn't an idiot and clearly knew what that small sentence meant. "I don't understand." He took a step back from me, but kept his hands on my shoulders, keeping his concerned gaze on me.