Chapter 12

It took a few days to recuperate from Sunday night's drinking at the pub. Just like Nova had warned, her and Niall showed up just in time for karaoke, where we sat with a few of their friends, watching everyone drunkenly sing their hearts out to some really bad songs. Everyone at the table thought it would be a fun game to put random songs into a hat and whatever song we picked, we had to sing. It definitely made for some great entertainment, even though I wasn't exceptionally thrilled I had to sing Taylor Swift's song, '22.'

I had never done karaoke before in my life, so at the moment I had to stand on the small stage by myself, I was happy for being a little more than tipsy by this point, giving me the confidence I needed. After watching other people make fools of themselves and not care, why should I? Especially after watching Nova sing Britney Spears' song, 'Oops I Did It Again.' Although she did a great job of singing it, her punk persona made it awkward yet amusing at the same time. It turned out to be one of the most fun things I had done in a long time and everyone was surprised I killed the song as I danced around like an idiot while I sang.

I think my enthusiasm shocked everyone. I knew it was the alcohol that made me feel more confident. I wasn't particularly happy that I was okay with drinking as much as I did, but after the week I just had, I deemed it at least reasonable. I needed to let loose and forget about things. I was smart about the amount of alcohol I consumed and made sure I was still aware of the world around me. I wanted to remember this night, knowing that somehow it was important. It made me realize that I could drink to just have a good time, allowing me to step out of my shell and be the happy girl who loved life that I was before. It showed me that the girl just under the surface really was there, and she could come out and have a little fun without being afraid.

Although I was immensely hungover the next day and had a headache for a few days, my body not used to any sort of intoxication, since I hadn't drank for a while, my mood had shifted from being miserable and barely talking to anyone, to feeling like I was smiling far too much. I couldn't help but think that somehow karaoke night helped me through it and it didn't go unnoticed by the people around me.

I'm sitting in the back of Astrid's yellow Volkswagen Convertible Beetle, wind blowing furiously through my hair while she blasts Justin Bieber's newest tune through her speakers, not caring that Harry, who is sitting next to me in the back seat, is making fun of her for liking the song. Our classmate Blake, is sitting in the passenger seat singing along with Astrid, and I can't help but laugh at how, in a weird sense, he kind of looks like the boy who's singing the song on the radio.

We're on our way to the beach to do our assignment for Portraits. Drew had assigned us to be a group, where we had to take photos of 'couples in love,' making my partner Blake, and Harry and Astrid together. It's the first assignment we have to take pictures of more than one person and although I love the concept, I'm not exactly pleased that I'm partners with someone I don't know well, who I apparently have to pretend to be in love with, while the boy I have feelings for, takes our photos.

Harry came up with the idea we do the shoot at sunset on the beach. There really isn't a better place to take photos. Sunset, giving off a more romantic impression and I knew we would all get some really amazing shots and ace the assignment no problem.

"I wish we could switch partners," Astrid sighs, as we make our trek across the sandy beach that looks out into the ocean. The sun hasn't quite started to fall yet but it's well on it's way. "I mean, it'd be nice to pretend to be in love with Blake. Get to hold his hand and look longingly into his eyes--even if its just for pictures!" She giggles, batting her long eyelashes at the thought of doing so.

Harry and Blake are already far ahead of us, setting up everything we brought on the blanket.

"Is it going to be weird to do your shoot of me and Harry?" She asks looking over at me with wide eyes. "Just because, ya know, I know you like him and everything."