One ➸ Beginning

When my best friend was born, he told me that a big, yellow and green, scary beast came out from under his bed. He told me its name was Box and that he hated it with a burning passion. I didn't understand because when I was young, a small boy emerged from his home under my bed. He was not, and never would be, a monster.

I remember the first time I heard that I would have to kill this "monster". I remember the feeling of my heart sinking. I was distraught and I still am. I was just about to turn 15 and Mum called me to the kitchen.

"Vikram! Get down here and don't bring that filthy garbage down here with you!"

She was referring to Lachlan.

I saw it on his face- the hurt and guilt after what she said. I sent him a smile of sympathy before running down the flight of stairs and into the small kitchen in the house. I sat down across from Mum at the familiar dark oak island in the middle of the room.

"Vikram, you're going to be 18 soon, dear," She smiled, taking on of my hands in hers. "That means you will be an adult!"

I cocked my head to the side. Why was she bringing this up? I wasn't even 16 yet. Something about being an adult in this world was so important and those who weren't considered adults were considered trash. It made no sense to me at the time. You turn 18 and become an adult, how could you be over age and not be an adult?

"Hon," She smiled sweetly, "When you're 18, there's going to be a huge ceremony at town square," She continued. I nodded, still not understanding. "Vikram! That ceremony is where you'll take your monster to where everyone is gathered and you'll kill it," She sounded enthusiastic. I felt sick to my stomach and I didn't talk to her for three days after that.

When I got back into my room at the conversation, I didn't want to look Lachlan in the eyes.

"Vikk, wants wrong?" He had asked. My heart was broken. I remember wishing so hard that something would change by the time he had to do that.

Now I'm 17 and nothing has changed except how close I've grown with Lachlan. We weren't best friends or brothers- close to that extent. We were just friends. He didn't like to talk much. That made it a little harder to befriend him.

"Lachlan," I whispered into the dark and quiet room. Streams of light peered in through the window. The moon was full tonight. I heard a small shuffle from under the bed and then the tall and lanky boy crawled out. I could see his silhouette, his blond hair was sticking up in different directions.

"Yeah?" He mumbled sleepily, rubbing his eyes. I patted the bed beside me.

"Sleep here please," I said, my voice was small. I'd never asked him for this before, but I was having nightmares. A seventeen-year-old having nightmares, nice one Vikk. He chuckled softly and I felt the bed dip as he sat. He lied beside me and I could feel his warmth. My eyes drifted shut and sleep overtook me.

I woke up to shouting.

"Get your filthy hands off my son, you son of a bitch!"

A small whimper and a string of apologies.

"You were trying to touch him! I can't wait until Vikk turns eighteen! Your god damn presence will certainly not be missed!"

A slap and then crying.

I sat up quickly, taking in the scene before me. My mother was standing in my room, Lachlan was curled up small in the corner. His hands clasped his red cheek and it dawned on me that Mum hit him. An overwhelming rage washed through my body. Something about her treating a "monster" so horribly made me rethink who the monster was.

"Mum!" I screamed, her constant spill of insults stopped and she looked at me red in the face. "Get- Get out of here," My voice wavered. I wanted so badly to lash out at her like she was doing to Lachlan, but that would make me just as bad as her. So I held my tongue.

"He's a monster, Vikram" She sneered before walking out of the room. Lachlan burst into tears and rocked himself. I tiredly made my way to him. I brushed his flat hair from his face and ran my fingers through it. Eventually his tears stopped and out of nowhere, he clung to me. His arms were wrapped tightly around my waist.

"Thank you," He whispered so quiet, I almost couldn't make what he said.

It was in this moment that I realized, I couldn't let anything happen to him.

➸➸➸
hello! thank you so much for reading this!
if you think it's moving fast or slow just- i think it'll be ok
xoxo