Five ➸ Toxic

For the past week, Lachlan and I have gotten next to no time together. The school week went by in a blur and when the weekend approached, I couldn't keep myself still. Currently it was the last period on Friday and I was paying absolutely no attention to the science teacher explaining our homework. I just wanted to get home to see the blonde noodle some call Lachlan.

An assignment landed on my desk and I pulled it towards me, examining it. I read the first question and decided that I would never be able to concentrate enough to answer any of the questions. Home was on my mind. I tapped my pencil on the wooden desk impatiently as I kept my eyes glued to the clock, slowly moving its hands at the speed of a turtle.

Eventually, the clock ticked to 3:17 and the familiar and loud bell rang through the whole school, indicating school was finally over.

I left the school and began my tread home. When I passed the parking lot, I recognized Mum's car. I tilted my head and curiously walked over.

"Mum?" I called as I opened the passenger door. "What're you doing here?" I asked without getting in.

She smiled at me. "Hop in Vikram, your father and I decided that you should visit this place. It's quite a fantastic place," She went on further than that, but I tuned her out and got in. What place could they be talking about? Why couldn't I just go home to Lachlan?

My mum pulled into a parking lot that went to a large, brick, and white building. I furrowed my eyes brows, looking around for a sign or something to tell me what this place was. I've never been here before. We walked in through the automatic doors and I was greeted with a front desk. Sitting at it a man with dark skin and a very bright smile.

"Appointment for Vikram Barn?" She asked in a sickly sweet voice. What 'appointment'? I had know idea what I just got myself into. I guess I didn't have a choice to be here. After what happened that one night, I had no doubt my mum would use force to get me to go with her. That thought made my skin crawl.

After a short conversation between the two adults that I heard virtually no words from, I was being herded through a doorway leading into a waiting room of sorts. I had two guesses as to where we were. A therapy office or the doctor and, judging by what I've seen so far, doctor office seemed very untrue.

"Vikram?" A small lady came out of a doorway I hadn't noticed before. Before I could react, Mum was pushing me towards her and then the lady took my arm and guided me into a room. There was a chair and a desk and more chairs and books everywhere. What am I doing here?

The door shut behind us and my mum was out of the picture. I sighed, feeling very confused and longing for home more than ever. What if my dad was home? Would Lachlan be okay? What was he doing right now?

Questions swirled through my head and then she was talking.

"So, Vikram, do you know why you're here?"

I sighed. This surely wasn't a doctors office.

"No, I have no fucking clue why I'm here," I snapped, suddenly feeling angry towards this whole situation.

She smiled. I felt another snap of rage, ready to walk out and go back to the comfort of my bedroom.

"Vikram," She said softly, I wanted to wash her mouth out with soap.

"Vikk," I interrupted her.

"Vikk," She started again, "When every child is born, they're given a gift from the devil and it is our duty to rid the world of these. Do you understand? Our monsters, they're evil and meant to die at our hands. They are not friends," She explained in an eery calm voice.

Meant to die at our hands. Meant to die at our hands. Lachlan was meant to die at my hands.

I stood up and walked out of her office. I continued to walk past my mother. She tried to grab me, but I kept walking faster.

Meant to die at our hands.

Our world is corrupted.

Meant to die at our hands.

People are bloody insane. They're the monsters. I won't be like them. I won't. I will never kill Lachlan. I will never kill anyone.

I kept walking past the car. Past the stop sign. Past all of the houses down the street. Past some businesses. Past everything until I made it back home. My mum's car was already there and the sun was falling down in the sky. I didn't know how long I was walking for, but seeing home made me sigh in relief. The pains in my feet finally surfacing and I finally noticed the goosebumps littering my skin. I opened the door and walked in, letting the warmth of my house surround and envelop me.

My parents were in the kitchen so I quickly scurried up the stairs and into my room. When I got to my door, I bursted through, my eyes immediately searching for my blonde coconut.

"Lachlan," I breathed once I saw him. He was curled up in a ball, staring out the window. He whipped around and ran towards me.

"You-" He wrapped me into his arms tightly, "You worried me."

"I missed you," I whispered into his chest. We stayed like that for a few minutes. I was glad he wasn't hurt. He was glad I wasn't hurt.

What kind of world were we living in where there was a constant worry of the other being hurt?

I explained my night to Lachlan and he nodded solemnly, telling me that humans were toxic to each other, their bad ideas seeping into others and poisoning their minds. Tainting them with dark thoughts.

I nodded and kissed his chest.

It was really time for sleep. But I couldn't bring myself to want to get up and away from Lachlan. Or to even move for that matter. I was exhausted.

"Please get me ready for bed," I said after awhile. It was silent for a second. Then a shuffle and cold hands were pulling off my shirt. I closed my eyes and let him undress me. He cautiously unbuttoned the jeans I was in. I didn't even have to open my eyes to know he was blushing. He tugged the denim off and I heard them drop on the floor.

"These too?" He asked, gently tugging on the grey boxers sitting on my hips.

"Yes please. New ones in the drawer," I mumbled. I wish he would be quicker. I'd rather fall asleep cuddling him than fall asleep while he's putting pajamas on me. He hesitantly pulled off my underwear and quickly slid on a new pair. I smiled sleepily.

He lifted me slightly to get a loose t-shirt over my head and onto my upper half. I lazily put my arms through the sleeves. Next, he walked towards the light, got undressed himself, turned off the light and walked back towards me. He crawled into bed and threw the covers over us.

"Good night Vikk," He said softly, kissing my forehead.

"Good night, Lachlan."

➸➸➸
hellooooo happy thanksgiving from this canadian
i wanna tell you that i'm so thankful for all of you. <3
you make writing this so much for fun!!
thank you vvvv much.

happy october!