Two ➸ He Wakes

It was already mid-May of my senior year in high school and I was honestly so ready to leave. As much as I loved hanging out with friends every day and learning square roots and shit, I was really excited to graduate and pursue my dream of designing PC games. My parents want me to go into sciences, though. Come to think of it, they are very unsupportive of what I like to do and my choices.

I felt lonely in this big house. My brother moved out and got married a year ago and my parents never bothered to interact with me. The only person in this house I could talk to was Lachlan and even then he wasn't much of a talker. I decided that I could at least tell him what was bothering me right now.

We were home alone so I called him to the living room where I was laying on the couch in front of the wide TV playing some sort of sport. I had muted it awhile ago, sports not really interesting me at all.

"Lachlan!" I yelled to him, "I'm in the living room! Please come. No one else is home." I frowned. The last time someone called him out of my room wanting to 'talk', he ended up getting brutally lectured about how he's less than human. My body shook at the thought of such a precious person being hurt. I heard a tiny creak at the stairs and my eyes shot to the source of the noise.

He stood there, clinging to the railing on the side. He was slowing making his way down, cringing at every sound the floor made. I smiled to myself. He looked up and made eye contact with me. I waved him over with my arm and moved my feet towards myself so he could sit at the other end. He scurried over and sat on the comfortable sofa. He waves awkwardly and I laughed softly. His gestures and way of doing things was so- so gentle. He was a gentle being and it was so refreshing to be around him.

"Lachlann," I dragged out the 'n'. He looked at me. "Lachyyy," This time the 'y'. He smiled a little and I nudged him with my foot.

"Vikrammm," He smiled. I grimaced at the name. He laughed a little. My insides felt like they were melting; his laugh was so nice.

"Lachlan, did you hear about that guy who's entire left side got cut off?" I held in my laughter. His expression showed shock and worry. He shook his head 'no'.

"It's okay, he's all right now," I waited a second, letting him process the information. His face went from worry to happiness as he laughed for a moment and then he lightly hit my leg.

"You're so lame," He shook his head. I grinned.

"For real, though," I started, sighing lightly. "I feel lonely."

"But I'm right here."

"Yeah, but like..." I groaned, not knowing how to explain it. He waited patiently for me to continue. I appreciated that. "I want to talk to you more. You're here and that's a lot better than being alone, but you conceal yourself so much and it feels like you aren't even here sometimes. My parents ignore me unless what I'm doing taints their image-" I cut myself off there, rambling too much.

"S-Sorry about not.. Not making myself known," He whispered softly. I immediately felt guilt rush through my body. I sat up quickly from my laying position and found myself wrapping my arms around him. His body tensed. I held tighter.

"No, no. I just- don't apologize. You're so good I just..." I trailed off, not knowing where I was going. We stayed in silence for a few minutes. Eventually his body relaxed and his arms hesitantly wrapped around my waist. His grip was loose and unsure and I had a sad realization that he had never hugged anyone before. He had never left the house. I've never hugged him before and no one in this house would ever go that close to him.

I buried my face in the crook of his neck. He was so beautiful. How could someone so beautiful be treated with such cruelty. I pulled away, laying back down on the couch.

"What was that called?" He asked with curiosity much like a child's. I wanted to pinch his cheeks.

"A hug," I smiled fondly.

"I like those," He said, I think it was mostly to himself.

"Me too," I whispered.

He looked at my with a shy smile and wide eyes. Slowly he laid down next to me on the small couch. He was pressed against the back of the couch and I was pushed to the edge of the cushion, thankfully not falling off. I had no idea was he was doing.

"Lachlan?" I asked softly. He didn't respond, except his arms slipped around my waist. It dawned on me. He was hugging me. I shifted my body to face his and wrapped my arms around his neck. It was very nice, he was warm and treated me like I was a porcelain doll. Like I could be broken with a touch too rough. I felt so peaceful. He closed his eyes.

Sleep sounded nice right now. I closed my eyes as well.

Just as I was about to fall into a deep slumber, I heard keys jingle and the front door open. My heart dropped as I heard someone gasp.

"Vikram Barn, what in God's name are you doing?"

ahh so this is a late update but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  i promise ill try for at least two updates a week.

also idk im really feeling their relationship. and if you didnt understand why lachlan is vv undereducated is bc he has p much been living in the dark his whole life. he didn't go to school or anything (bc technically he's just a monster)

happy october!