Thirteen ➸ The Choice

(warning: heavy chapter again with violence and possible trigger warnings) (honestly this chapter is so grim and i was contemplating if i should even post it. ah, please let me know if it's too morbid or I should rewrite it)

I closed the space between us, my lips connecting with his. Only it wasn't the same as before. Instead of feeling sparks fly through my body, I felt nerves bubbling in the base of my spine, reaching up and extending its reach through everything. Head to toes.

His lips were dry. But despite it being different than the last kiss we shared, I still felt it. The love. His love. Like his very pulse was soaring through my body. Like this moment we were sharing would be forever engraved in my heart. Like no matter what was about to happen, it would be okay. This made it okay.

Eventually, the moment had to end. An officer cleared their throat and Lachlan and I pulled away quickly.

"Sorry," I heard him mumble. I longed for more time to kiss him and hug him, but the officer was speaking.

"Get off of him, you disgusting animal," The officer grunted. I took a step back. I saw a flash of hurt in Lachlan's eyes, but it soon disappeared.

"Now," His voice boomed. "Vita, take the monster in," He ordered and a lady came and led Lachlan into the room over, behind a glass window similar to my room. He was seated in a chair and tied down.

My heart sunk.

"Now Vikk," He said. I was pulled by an officer into a chair like Lachlan's on the other side of the glass.

"Let's start!" He sounded enthusiastic.

Going in to detail about what happened would be too painful. Needless to say, 'participating' was hell. Walking out, it felt like I was in a trance, walking robotically, my eyes looking but never actually seeing. It's like I was looking through the eyes of someone else.

Traumatized. The word came to my head as I was pulled back into the small room next to Lachlan. As soon as the officer let go of my arm, I collapsed onto the ground, my face hitting the ground with a thud, but it sounded like it happened from a million miles away. The pain wasn't even present. Blood pooled around my face. I didn't even know what was bleeding.

I stayed like that until my eyes drifted shut and I fell unconscious.

Was this hell? Were these people even human?

That wasn't the only time they did it, too. Again and again, everyday they would pull us out of our rooms and repeat the same 'excises' as he called them. Lachlan was so broken by the end of days. I was too, just more on the inside. It was to the point where I questioned who I was. My thoughts were mostly blank. I hardly thought of the blonde sitting meters away. I hardly thought of my parents. My friends. My dreams. My future.

I mostly thought about how much I'd rather die than go through another day of this.

Everyday. Every single damn day I sat through this physical and mental torture. I was hardly functioning.

Today, I sat with my back against the small cot in my room, staring mindlessly at the ceiling. An officer walked in. I didn't spare a glance. I was waiting for them to pick me up and bring me to the same room as always, ready to follow the routine they set.

"Vikk," A lady whispered softly. I flinched.

"Vikk, remember me? It's Ash," She tried again. I flicked my eyes to look at her. I recognized her. I made a small grunt noise as to say yes. She took a seat next to me. I flinched again.