Fourteen ➸ He Ends

tw: death

"Don't!" Lachlan screamed at me. My finger trembled on the trigger. I shouldn't do it.

"Vikk, he's the one you want to kill. Think about this. We'll send you home when you've completed the task."

I looked up at Lachlan and saw a painful sight. He was crying and his mouth was open, but no words were falling out. He looked pitiful and I knew it was my fault that this was happening.

"I'm sorry," I whispered and turned the gun back around to face him. "I'm sorry," I repeated, mostly to myself. "I'm sorry," I said once more, for him.

"That's it, Vikk, now pull it back," An officer commanded.

"Vikk," Lachlan cried, sounding broken. "Please, don't do it. We can get through this. I love you, okay? I loved being with you, I loved all the time we spent together. We were so close to freed–"

"Shut up!" I cut him off again. "We didn't make it! Okay? We didn't make it and we're never going to make it, don't you understand?"

"Vikk," He whispered.

"I'm going to do it now," I said lowly, my heart beating quickly and tears dripped sadly down my face. "I'm going to kill my monster now."

I held the gun as steady as I could, pointing it directly at the blondes head.

"Good bye, Lachlan."

I shot. Lachlan's head fell, snapping forward. The gun nearly fell out of my hand as the realization of what I just did set in.

"N-No," I cried, my heart twisting in my chest. "I didn't."

"Well done, Vikram," an officer congratulated me, beginning to walk over.

I swung the gun and pointed it at him.

"No!" I screamed, glancing back at Lachlan's dead body. "How could you do this!"

"We didn't do anything," he said back smugly.

"You made me..." I trailed. I turned the gun once more to face myself and once again I was greeted with the smooth metal of the barrel. My finger no longer trembled on the trigger.

"I need to take myself out now," I whispered without emotion. Because I realized why I was startled by my reflection.

I pulled back on the trigger, hearing another gunshot.

I was startled because staring back at me wasn't the 18 year old boy I expected.

Staring back was a monster.