Chapter 7: Tuscan Bay Date

I had come home after a lengthy open heart surgery and ran into the hot shower. The scalding hot water stung my skin, but I had to hurry up since I had a "date" in less than an hour. Ugh, date. Even the word makes me want to throw up. Oh well, I didn't have any other option anyways. Instead of thinking about how I would face him today, I tried thinking positive thoughts. I kept telling myself to let it all just happen. That way it would go by quickly, and it'd be over soon enough.

I tried making an effort to look nice just for Sabr and Imaan. I wasn't trying to impress anyone else and the weather outside didn't leave many options. I dressed in a navy blue and white striped long sleeves shirt, paired with straight leg denim jeans, a cream colored knit infinity scarf, an army green jacket, and ankle heeled brown boots.

I dried my hair and pulled up the thick, naturally highlighted strands into a french braid. I finished putting on mascara and made my way downstairs. Everyone was sitting on the bar stools eagerly awaiting my arrival.

"Oh masha'Allah, my daughter looks so beautiful!" Mama exclaimed.

"Mama, are you okay? I always look like this," I looked at her with my eyebrows scrunched up.

Bhabi walked up to me and gave me a glance over, lips pursed. She let the loose strands that were stubborn and wouldn't stay in the braid, fall loose from behind my ears. She delicately framed them around my face and nodded her head in approval, "Better."

"Where's Bhaiya?" I made my way to the kitchen island and picked up a peach, biting into it.

"Still at work. He had an emergency patient," Bhabi sadly retorted.

"Aww, why don't you come with us!" Sabr said as she made her way into the kitchen ready to go.

"Yeah Bhabi, come with us! The more the merrier," I sang.

She shook her head laughing at us, "No thank you! Having two extra people on a date is more than enough. We need to give poor Izhar some space," she smirked.

I rolled my eyes at them theatrically, and they busted out laughing. It was 6:39 pm and I was starting to get worried and nervous. As Mama, Bhabi, and Sabr talked about the wedding preparations, which I had no clue about, I dozed off. What was I going to say to him? I'm already awkward, and he's practically my fiance.

Aaliyah Aunty had called Mama earlier in the morning asking if we could have the engagement this upcoming Saturday. Both families agreed that it would be best if the engagement was limited to only our family, nothing extravagant and big. I was told that after the engagement, the day of the Nikah would be decided along with the Walima. I didn't want a big event either, I was happy with only having my family. Yet, no one listened to me, and it came down to a small engagement and big Nikah and Walima. As tradition went, the bride's side would do the Nikah and the groom's side would do the Walima.

The preparations had already started, and they were already planning my Mehndi. Since it was going to be an all girls Mehndi, Sabr and Bhabi decided that they would dance and play music. All my girl cousins were going to be here, and Anam was already practicing her steps. I wasn't allowed to know anything other than the small facts since it was a "surprise".

As the three chatted about what the color scheme would be and what flowers they would use, my phone rang. It was Bhaiya.

"Hello? AsSalaamualaikum Bhaiya!" I said.

"Walaikum asSalaam Nourie. How are you?" Bhaiya said.

"I'm fine Alhamdullilah. What about you? Coming home soon?" I asked.

"No, I don't think I'll make it anytime soon," he stated sadly.

"Oh, bummer! Bhabi really misses you!" I teased. Bhabi gave me a death glare across the kitchen island and I laughed.