Chapter 9: Mehndi Night Cold Feet

Jummah Mubarak.

The past three and a half weeks had been extremely hectic but went by quickly. Mama and Sabr were always out and if I came home early from work, I would be dragged along as well. They were shopping like crazy as if the world was coming to an end. My Mehndi was today and the house was filled with aromas from flowers. Majority of my family had come over yesterday and some were coming over today. Imaan, Huda Appi, and some their cousins had come over last night to drop off my clothes for today and all my stuff for the Nikah tomorrow. To say I was on an emotional roller coaster was an understatement. Today was my last day from work for two weeks. Though I didn't want to take off for more than three days, Mama had forced me to do so. She wanted me to spend 'quality time' with my future husband.

Over the course of two weeks, the wedding banquet was booked, the arrangements were ready, the food was selected, all the invites were sent, and Izhar's shopping was done. After his side of the family dropped off my stuff, Sabr had gone over with a few of our cousins, Bhabi, and Anam to deliver his stuff to his parent's house. The night before, we wrapped everything nicely in cute baskets and clear wrapping paper and bows. Mama had ordered sweets, fruit baskets, and flowers to be taken as well.

Everyone was excited when my things were delivered, eager to see everything. Bhabi, Sabr, Anam, and some of my cousins were running in and out my room as I was getting ready. All the guys were being sent to the hotel forbidding them from tonight's ceremony. Bhaiya still hadn't left because he wanted to see me after I was ready and was worried about leaving Bhabi since she wasn't feeling well.

She had been really busy with her clients, but found us a great wedding event planner and they worked together to make the Nikah preparations perfect. She had been tired and had been throwing up since two nights ago. I had a feeling I knew what was wrong with her, but haven't gotten the chance to ask because we were never alone. Even now, there were so many people in my room. I had to get her alone sometime tonight!

My makeup was done and my dress laid out on my bed. Anam was finishing up my hair and telling me all about the makeup artist booked for tomorrow. "She's amazing Nouran! Her name's Malia, Afghan, and a total sweetheart. I usually wouldn't rely on other people to do your makeup, but she's perfect!"

I nodded along and stared at my reflection in the mirror, my mind elsewhere. I thought about Izhar and how we would be bound to each other tomorrow. I kept getting negative thoughts even though I tried to be optimistic. What if I freak out last minute? Better yet, what if he changes his mind? What am I going to do if he tries anything with me tomorrow night? I surely wasn't ready for that.

Anam gently pulled my hair away from my face and twisted the sides. She took the rest of my long, thick strands and pulled it into an intricate loose braid on the side. Ghaziya Bhabi came over to where I sat and placed the flower ornaments on the dresser. There were a pair of earrings, two bracelets and hand jewelry, and one head-piece. They were woven with fresh jasmine flowers and red roses and smelled divine and looked even prettier.

"I must say, Nourie, you're in-laws have good taste," Ghaziya Bhabi said.

"Alhamdullilah for that!" Anam said.

"Yes, Alhamdullilah," Ghaziya Bhabi laughed.

After Anam was done with my hair, she shooed everyone away except for Sabr and Bhabi so I could change. The dress was magenta with heavy embroidery and had multiple colors on the border. The pants were wide and an olive golden color. The sleeves were light pink and came a few inches past my elbows so that the henna would be convenient to put on. The dupatta was light and the same color as the pants.