Chapter 13: Midnight Snacks, Movies, and Magic

As of October 15th, 2015, She Is My Hayaat has been ranked #191 in Spiritual! Thank you guys! It is such an honor to be a part of something so big with such amazing writers. Insha'Allah we are getting closer.... :)

"We need an electroencephalogram as soon as possible! We are running out of time!"

"Doctor, the patient is having a seizure!"

"Move everything out of the way!"

"Nouran, please inform all the others and get ready for surgery!"

"Yes, doctor!"

******

It had been a crazy 14 hours, with all sorts of cases and patients coming in and out. I had been tired and hadn't gotten anything to eat or drink my whole shift. This had been the seventh time since I came in the past two weeks after my wedding, and it already seemed as if I had missed out on a lot.

We had a new geriatric patient come in who has had four strokes so far. The lady was in her mid 80's and also had Alzheimer's. I had been checking up on her every time I had a shift and though she never remembered who I was, she always told me how much she loved carnations.

I ended up brining her a carnation each time and slowly the vase by her bed had started to fill. I had just gotten out of an epilepsy treatment for a six year old when my pager beeped again. There was a psychiatric patient in the trauma room. I breathed in and out before making my way down the hall and to the bottommost floor of the hospital.

My shift had been busy and Anam wasn't working today. After assessing three more patients, I quickly called Izhar to make sure he ate dinner.

"Hello," he picked up on the second ring.

"Hey, AsSalaamualaikum," I said.

"Walaikum asSalaam! When are you coming home?" I could detect the frown in his voice.

"I guess I'm working 17 hours today, so not till after midnight. Maybe three?" I said guiltily.

I hope he wasn't regretting marrying a nurse. And if he was, that was his problem. Sorry!

He exhaled audibly and said, "I miss you."

"Did you eat dinner?" I quickly asked.

"Um, yeah...."

"Izhar, are you lying to me?"

"No, I promise I did. Stop worrying about me. I'm sure you didn't eat anything the whole day!"

"It's been a been a crazy shift. I'm exhausted, but the show must go on," I leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes.

"Come back soon, and please get something to eat," he whispered.

"Insha'Allah, but don't wait up for me. It's going to get really late and you have a meeting early tomorrow," I reminded him.

Thank goodness I was off tomorrow.

"I don't want to go! I'm staying home with you," he whined.

"Izhar, you know this is important for you!" I begged.

I knew he wouldn't say no to me. I didn't want him to give up the things he liked to do for me. His career wasn't a job, it was a hobby, and I knew the value it held for him.