Chapter Eighteen: Unexpected Victim

[ Few Hours Later - Still At Smarty's House ]

Entoan's View

Smarty's parents walked me around the house and pretty much showed me around. I guess they wanted me to know my way around since I would probably be here more often now that I'm going to be watching over Smarty. I couldn't help but smile like an idiot. This was a lot to take in. His family basically considers me one of their own because I'm caring for their son.

I thanked them for showing me around. I needed to head back to Smarty's room to check up on him. I walked through the halls and stood in front of his door. Twisting the doorknob slowly, I entered the room and noticed that he was still asleep. I smiled. He looked so peaceful. Good.

I shut the door and walked out his room. Maybe it would be best to inform his parents about what exactly happened. I know they're worried sick, and keeping them out of the loop about what happened isn't really ideal. I walked into the kitchen. They were seated at the table just chatting while eating fruit.

I cleared my throat, catching their attention. Mike and Laura looked at me, big smiles on their faces.

"Is there something you need, Entoan?" Mike asked, a piece of watermelon in his mouth.

I frowned slightly, "Ugh, yeah... I actually wanted to talk to you about what happened at school." I told them.

Laura sighed and pulled a chair out for me. "Sit."

I sat down besides her. She pulled the bowl of fruit closer to me, hinting that I could have some. I grabbed an apple slice and sighed.

"Do you want to know everything or no?" I asked them, biting my lip in worry.

"Well..." Laura started.

"All of it." Mike said. Laura looked at him, shocked that he wanted to know everything. He sighed, "I just want to know what exactly is going on. This isn't the only time he has come home with bloodshot eyes."

Laura frowned. "Yes, but... don't you think he would like to keep this between himself and Entoan? Teens tend to prefer keeping things like such to themselves." She mumbled out. It was evident that she was fully prepared to hear what had been going down with her son. I frowned.

Mike looked over at Laura and sighed. He placed his hand on her shoulder and squeezed reassuringly. "Baby, he won't mind. This is for his own safety. If he does get upset that we somehow found out, then so be it. Our main priority is to keep him safe and sound." He said, smiling at her softly. "Isn't that right?" 

Laura's eyes watered and she nodded her head frantically. "Y-You're right. God, you're right, Mike." She sputtered out. She took a deep breath and looked me straight in the eye. "Entoan, please, please tell us what has been happening to our son."

I smiled sadly. "Of course."

I took a deep breath and shut my eyes, recalling all that happened before and after I intervened. "I was sitting down at this table in lunch when all of the people at the table started to stare off somewhere. I-I followed their gazes and that's when I saw Gassy, his real name being Max, swearing a storm at someone. I didn't want to just sit there and watch, so I stood up and made my way over to whoever Gassy was yelling at. That was when Gassy raised his fist and I ran in front and took the blow with my arms. Nothing much happened  after that. Gassy and I only shared a few words, but I could tell that he really hated Smarty. Either that or he was just targeting him for no reason whatsoever. I think this has been going on for a while now." I explained what I saw as best as I could.

Laura had tears streaming down her face, while Mike was furious and horrified. I sighed and scratched my neck. "I-I, well, can I ask how long Smarty has been coming home with bloodshot eyes? Bruises maybe? Anything that you would consider just out of the ordinary I need to know. That can probably help give me a good estimate on how long he has been a victim of bullying..." I stammered out, not wanting to seem like some prick prying into their business. 

Mike shook his head slowly, "I would have to say that he's come home with bloodshot eyes for a good amount of time. Since the end of the last school year? Does that sound right?" He said, looking over at Laura for confirmation. 

She nodded. "Yes, you're right. He's only come home with bruises a few times. His arms would be bruised or his cheek would be red and scratched up. He would always tell me that he was getting these bruises because of gym. I believed him too. Gym was never one of his greatest classes. W-Were the bruises f-from b-being hit?" She blurted out, looking between Mike and I, fear swimming in her eyes.

Mike looked down and sighed. I don't think he wanted to admit it himself. Laura shook her head and cupped her hands around her mouth, muffling her sobs. 

"I c-can't believe we've b-been s-so clueless!" She cried out, hanging her head low. Her hair covered her face as she sobbed. Mike moved closer to her and wrapped his arms around her, rubbing her arms reassuringly.

"I-Is there anything else that you noticed or have seen on him?" I asked shyly.

Mike pursed his lips together. His eyes widened, "There is."

"What is it?" I asked him.

"He would flinch every time I would grab at his arms."

My eyes widened. "Are...are you saying what I think you're saying?" I asked him.

Mike bit his lip. "I-I...I believe Smarty has harmed himself. I never went as far as forcing him to show me his arms because I want to respect his privacy. But Smarty hasn't worn any short sleeves in forever. He used to wear them all the time, and now it seems like long sleeves are the only shirts that he is willing to wear. One time I even offered to buy him a short sleeve with his favorite band on it, but he wouldn't wear it because of the sleeves. He's also very jumpy when I go to place my hand on his shoulder, even when I go to mess with his hair. He's never been like this, Entoan. I know my son." Mike stated, his lips quivering as he finished.

His hand fell from Laura's shoulder and he wiped at his face. "My god, I-I can't believe this. This has been going on for a year? Maybe longer and we're just noticing this now?" He sputtered out, his voice failing him. "Our son has been h-hurting because of s-some fucker that thinks bullying is okay?!"

Mike broke. He let out a loud growl like noise and he slammed his fist against the table. "God dammit!" He yelled.

The table shook. Mike stood up and he walked out the room.

"I'm so sorry," Was the last thing I heard from Mike as he walked out the room.

Laura shook her head and wiped her face of her tears. "Thank you Entoan. You've been a great help to all of us. I'll be off now to check on Mike. Feel free to stay if you would like. I know you two have always been so close, so feel free to use the phone to call your parents to let them know." She said, leaving the room and heading to look for her husband. 

I blinked and stared at the plate of fruit in front of me. I was taking the moment to realize all that happened. It was nothing bad, but now Smarty's parents knew of his situation. Who knew what was going to happen from here on out. Who knew what was going to happen as soon as we went to school tomorrow. For some odd reason, I feel like I should have taken Ohm's advice and kept to myself. I feel like I should have sat back down and watched everything play out. I have this ache in my heart telling me not to go to school.

I clutched at my shirt. Why was it hurting?I haven't felt like this in so long. Was this fear? Regret? Excitement? What was it? I gulped and let out a shaky breath. 

I laughed.

"I hate you Gassy. I hate you for making us feel this way."