Chapter X

Chapter X: 3rd PoV
It was the day before the winter solstice. A fourteen year old sat talking to a tree. An ordinary day.

"I don't understand why you would say that! You know I'm not allowed to go to Olympus for the solstice. It's only for cabin councilors, although I should technically be one. It's my eighth year at camp and I bet Chiron doesn't even remember my name."

"I think you should find a way to go. Maybe mess with the gods a little bit, ruffle their feathers. You know?"

Thalia's advice had been getting more and more strange for the past few days. She had never lead Percy wrong before, but messing with the gods? That was drastic.

"Swipe a few items, maybe a symbol of power. Start a war, who would expect an unclaimed kid in the Hermes cabin?"

With every word she said, the son of Hera was more and more certain that this was not his friend talking. "Who are you and what have you done with Thalia?"

The tree laughed, it wasn't a nice laugh, it was something that sent chills down Percy's spine. "Percy, I'm the same person you've always known, the one you've talked to for the past four years. I know your hopes, your dreams. I know you, I swear it on Styx."

Slight thunder rumbled, proving her words held truth. But the son of Hera sensed trickery, "You never said you were Thalia!" Percy growled. "Whoever you are, you have fooled me long enough and I suggest you go before I make you."

"Puny demigod, as though you could defeat me." The voice replied in an amused tone, dropping all guises of being Thalia. "How could you when I am the almighty Titan Lord of Time! And I am so close to achieving my greatness."

"Kronos?" Percy gasped out in a shocked tone. All these years he had been talking to-no-pouring his heart out to Kronos!

"Yes young one. I can talk to any  that feel bitter and forgotten. That's why your good friend Katie can no longer  speak to me, she is happy with her life here. But I've been talking to others, in their dreams. And even if you won't help me, a war is going to begin. A war that I will win, rest assured."

"Never speak to me again! I will never help you. Never! You hear me? So go tell your tree nymphs and minions to buzz off before I kill them!"

Fuming, Percy stormed off to the big house, knowing he had to tell Chiron. When he arrived there, Annabeth Chase was talking to two small children, one male and one female. "You drool in your sleep." She told the boy, who looked about nine, then she strutted off, looking ridiculous. The girl, who was presumably his sister, put a comforting arm around her brother.

Ignoring the other two, and still furious, Percy walked over to Chiron. "Chiron, I have urgent news!" The centaur turned to him, tail swishing. "Yes of course...erm.." He fished for his name, turning to Dionysus for help. The wine go shrugged, and continued playing solitaire.

"Percy." The half-blood finished for him. "Unclaimed, I have riptide." At the mention of the sword, Chiron seemed to remember. He perked up immediately. "Ah yes. Of course I remember you...um...Percy, was it?"

The son of Hera sighed and nodded exasperatedly. Switching into Ancient Greek so that the children wouldn't hear as much, he explained his problem.

"Rather recently, I acquired a visitor in my dreams. It was a voice, it urged me to sneak to Olympus on the Winter Solstice and steal one of the gods items of power. When I refused and demanded to know who was speaking to me, the voice introduced himself as Kronos. I'm afraid he's rising, and because my birthday is in two years, closer than even Thalia Grace's, and since according to my sword I am the child of the prophecy, I urge you to inform the gods."

What Percy said was mostly truth, and just to convince the old centaur even more, he took a risk. "And I swear on Styx that Kronos is rising. More importantly, I swear on the river Styx that I am the oldest potential candidate for the prophecy, and that I will do my best to defeat the titan lord. And I'm the oldest living camper here."

The look on the horse-man's face almost made Percy laugh. It was a dumbfounded look mingled with one of complete and utter horror. It seemed like something you would see in a cartoon. When Chiron regained his bearings, he gave Percy clear orders. "I will tell the gods everything you've said, young hero.  Now I would like you to please tour these two new campers around, their names are Nico and Bianca. And for your sake, I hope you're wrong about what you've just told me."

But both knew Percy was right, he had, after all, sworn on the Styx.