Chapter Nine

So sorry about the long wait everyone. Last weekend I was house-sitting for a family friend and she doesn't have WiFi, and after I returned home on Monday I got sick. The past few days I've had a really bad fever. It ranged from 100.1-103.1. Another few hours and my sister was gonna take me to emergency care, but it finally broke for good yesterday and it's been it the normal range since. 

~*~*~

Chapter Nine

Justin

Later that night, Justin sat in his car thinking. His life was perfect just a week ago, and now it is a complete mess. He had no family, no home, and no money for college. Life was just perfect.

He knew about his father's opinions and views on life, but he never would have imagined that he would do what he did. Justin didn't even know if he could call that man his father anymore. After the things he said and did its clear that he has no father, and just maybe he never really did.

The room was filled with stunned silence. No one dared to make a move. His mother was looking anxiously between the two of them as if she was watching a fight to the death. His father's hands were clenched into fists and he was staring directly into his drink as if hoping to find the meaning of life in there. Justin just sat there nervously and waited.

"What did you say?" His father's voice was short and stoic.

Watching him carefully Justin repeated himself, "I'm gay, and I've known for years. I was just too scared to tell anyone."

His father suddenly stood and threw his glass to the ground. He pointed his finger at his son angrily and yelled, "No! You can't be a fag!"

Justin used every bit of courage he had and stood up to meet his eyes, "Well I am, and there's nothing you can do about it."

"You think so, do you?" He replied with an evil grin. "Well, how about this then? Either you stop with this temper tantrum of yours-"

"Temper tantrum?"

He held up his hand to silent him and continued. "You stop this nonsense right now or that's it. I'm done. You pack your stuff, and leave. I refuse to let you make us the laughing stock of this town. I will not pay for your college and you will not get your trust fund when you turn eighteen."

Justin gaped at his supposed father. "But – dad! How am I supposed to pay for college?"

"I don't give a crap," he snarled, "but you make a choice right now: your college and inheritance, or this nonsense?"

"Loving someone and being who you are isn't nonsense-"

"I will not have a fag in my house!" he screamed. "Choose!"

His head shook in disbelief. How could a father do this to his son? Looking over Justin found his mother staring at the table silently. She had tears in her eyes, but he knew she would never say anything. She wasn't as outspoken as Justin was. He didn't blame her, but it did hurt to know that she wasn't going to do anything.

Justin slowly reached into his back pocket and pulled out his wallet. Waiting with his arms crossed, his father just stood there watching him. He pulled out his father's credit card and set it gently on the table before quietly sliding it across the table.

Only the silence remained in that moment. Everyone was either too stubborn, proud, or scared to speak. However, Justin knew that he had to be the one to break the silence. 

"I'll be out of your lives in twenty minutes," with that he walked out of the dining room and up the stairs to his room. He spent the next twenty minutes grabbing everything he could. It was clear that he would not be able to come back if he forgot something.