This is Why No One Likes the Lake

That night at the camp fire, Will seemed depressed. Cabin 7 still led the sing along, but Will didn't seem to be into it. He was just going through the motions. He kept scanning the crowd, like he was looking for someone.

Chiron went through the announcements, everyone got s'mores, and Will was basically miserable the whole time.

Wanna skip ahead to the interesting part?

I knew you did!

After all that, and Chiron called lights out, and everyone probably should have been going back to their cabins, I hung behind (because Imma rebel). I wasn't the only one. Erin and Will were talking in a shadowed corner.

"Can I tell you again how incredibly sorry I am?" I heard Will said. This was obviously a very private conversation. (Oh, you would eavesdrop too.)

"I just..."

"I'll do anything to make you forgive me. I'll sit in the dessert for a month, grapple hand to hand with Setne, I just want your forgiveness."

"You're not listening." She said, ducking her head. "And I'm tired of explaining it to you. If you want to talk about it... come to the lake later."

She walked away. Will sighed and tilted his head to the sky. "I know you're there, Kahlan."

I walked towards him. "You okay?"

"Yah." He sighed again. "Why do I get the feeling 'talk about it' means 'stab you repeatedly'?"

"Knowing Erin, those are probably one and the same."

Will nodded. "You're coming with me, right?"

"Uh..." I panicked. "Sure!" Oh, Kahlan, what have you gotten yourself into?

Will's interpretation of the word "later" seemed to be "immediately". He was doing this thing with his hands, looking around nervously. "Where's Erin?" He muttered.

"Erin knows all. Erin sees all." Erin appeared beside us.

Will's reaction was immediate. "Oh, gods, can I just say how absolutely incredibly-"

"Stop." She held up a hand. "I'm not a toy to be played with and then thrown away. And I'm sick and tired of being used like one."

"Umm... what do you mean?"

"I mean that people keep treating me like I'm disposable, using me for their own gain then tossing me away."

"When have I ever done that to you?"  I asked, genuinely scared for the answer.

"You haven't." She said carefully. "But some people have." She glared at Will. "And so many others. So... so many others."

Will whimpered a little. "Erin... I'm sorry, I-I didn't realize that I had hurt you so badly, really..."

Erin was tearing up. "I'm so mad at you." She whispered. "But I still love you. Don't get excited." She warned. "You are still in hot water. If you ever do anything like that again, I will hunt you down."

I decided to take my leave. I ran back to my cabin and collapsed on the bed. Arartic curling close to me, I fell asleep.

---

After I got dressed and ready for the day and all that morning crap, I went outside. Erin was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. Her braided black hair fell to the floor and she looked taller.

"Erin? I think you've had a bit of a growth spurt."

"Yeah, no dur. Have you seen Percy or Will?"