Chapter Fifty-Two: The Longest Day

Connor spent most of the rest of the day sleeping, and Jude sat at the Captain's Table and did his homework. Looking over what he had to do, he was certain that there was more here than he'd get if he was at at school...probably another one of Monte's "cultural experiences." He groaned audibly as he thought about having to spend a week or more with her personally overseeing their work study.

"What's wrong, cakes?" Connor asked, coming in from the bedroom. He hugged Jude from behind.

"I swear there's extra homework here," Jude said. "I was just thinking that Monte probably has something to do with that."

Connor considered that. "Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I better get my books." He went back to the bedroom for his backpack and came out and sat next to Jude. "Wow, I slept most of the day."

"Sore at all?" Jude asked. "They gave some pills for you to take, if you are."

"I feel fine," Connor said. He sat next to Jude and dug out his English book. "Any word from Taylor?"

"Yeah, we're leaving on Friday, that'll give us time for you to have your first chemo and recover from it."

There was a knock on the door, Jude jumped up and opened it. "Oh, hi moms," he said.

"We thought you boys might want some pizza," Stef said, holding a box.

"Oh that sounds so good," Jude said.

"Smells good too," Connor said.

Stef placed the box on the table and stroked Connor's back. "How are you doing, love?"

"Great," Connor said. "I'm not sore at all. There's just kind of a lump where they put it in." He grabbed a pizza slice and started chowing.

"I swear, Monte made the teachers give us extra homework," Jude said to Lena.

"Yeah, she thinks kids are too tempted to goof off on home study."

"Well, aren't you supposed to be in charge of curriculum?" Jude asked.

She held her hands up "Hey, I'm Switzerland. If you have a problem with Monte take it to her. I hear you'll have plenty of time to talk to her."

Jude sighed. "Yeah, we will."

"If you boys need anything, let us know," Stef said, kissing them both on the head.

"Thanks Mom," Connor said, somewhat pizza-muffled.

***

Jude awoke in the night. He looked at the clock and smiled as he noticed it was the time he and Connor used to wake up in the house so they could make love while everyone was sleeping. Connor was sound asleep and Jude had no desire to wake him, but almost unconsciously his fingers started tracing Connor's pectorals, a common thing when they were initiating their lovemaking activities. But then his finger darted up to where the Portacath was installed, feeling only the bump under the skin Connor had talked about.

Jude closed his eyes, wishing that he could just cure Connor himself, as if his love was some kind of super-radiation that could penetrate into Connor and destroy all the cancer cells. It was good that they knew what was going on, and there was a plan to deal with it, and Connor had excellent doctors and the Center had state of the art facilities and...all of it sounded so positive, and yet Jude could not shake the feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach. There was a persistent knot of anxiety there that he could never shake off, a lump of worry and negative feelings that just wouldn't go away.