Chapter 8

Joe awoke to smell of bacon and the sound of hushed giggles filling the air. As he opened his eyes to look around the room he realized he was still laying on the pull out bed but Stacey and Kennedy were both missing. The soft giggles were still coming from behind him in the kitchen. Joe sat up and stretched before getting up to see where his girlfriend and her daughter were hanging out.

The sight before him in the kitchen when he entered couldn't have been more perfect. Stacey was standing at the counter helping Kennedy mix what looked to be pancake or waffle batter while a plate of bacon sat next to her near the stove. The pair was in their own little world and had no idea Joe was even watching them. Stacey was quietly singing My Girl by the Temptations to Kennedy who was grinning ear to ear and giggling at her mom.

"Good morning ladies what do we have here?" Joe said announcing his presence in the room as he made his way toward his girlfriend who jumped slightly hearing him speak.

"Good morning handsome. Did you sleep well?" Stacey said as she turned toward Joe and kissed him on the cheek.

"Yeah I slept great." Joe responded as he wrapped his arms around his girlfriend.

"Hi Mr. Joe! We're making waffles for breakfast!" Kennedy told him.

"Waffles! Those are my favorite." Joe replied to the smiling little girl before reaching over to take a sip out of his girlfriend's coffee cup causing Kennedy's eyes to widen.

"Mommy... Mr. Joe just drank your coffee!" Kennedy exclaimed causing Stacey to chuckle.

"Did he? Maybe we should get him his own, everyone knows no one touches my coffee" Stacey said jokingly to her daughter as she reached up in the cabinet and got another mug down handing it to Joe and taking hers back.

"Don't worry it won't happen again, I forgot your mommy is weird and drinks her coffee with nothing in it." Joe said after swallowing the black coffee from Stacey's mug and making a disgusted face.

"Whatever, I'm not weird lots of people drink their coffee black. It's actually better for you." Stacey said defending herself.

"Sure thing babygirl, sure thing." Joe said making a face that only Kennedy could see causing her to giggle as he poured himself a cup a coffee and then added some sugar.

"Kennedy, why don't you set the table for us while I finish making the waffles?" Stacey asked her daughter who nodded before grabbing some silverware and forks and headed toward the table.

"So what's on the agenda today?" Joe asked his girlfriend as he watched her pour the waffle batter into the waffle maker.

"We need to go get decorations and supplies for the party tomorrow, and then from there we need to drop it all off at my parent's house where the party will be at. After that I have to go to work for a few hours since its Friday and I have a football game. You're welcome to come to the game or stay here." Stacey told him.

"What's Kennedy doing while you're at work?" Joe questioned taking a sip of coffee.

"Kennedy usually hangs out at my parent's house while I'm at work since its getting cooler out. In the warmer months she usually comes with me but hangs with my parents in the stands." Stacey replied as she scooped the last waffle out of the waffle maker and onto the plate.

"Oh okay maybe I'll tag along to your game. It's been a while since I watched a high school football game." Joe told her as he took another sip from his coffee.

"It's up to you. I would completely understand if you wanted to stay here and relax all day." Stacey told him as she placed the dirty dishes in the sink.