Chapter 8

Fists were flying through the air. I didn't even know who was hitting who. Jacob and Riker were rolling around on the ground together.

"Stop it!" I screamed. "That's enough! Get off of each other!"

Riker rolled on top of Jacob and punched him right in the face. "Apologize!" He barked into Jacobs face. "Now!"

"Not a chance!" Jacobs fist swung up and caught Riker in the jaw, knocking him to the ground.

Jacob was on Riker now, pulling his hair and slamming his head into the ground. Riker's lip was bleeding and he didn't look like he was gonna last much longer in the fight.

"Jacob!" I shrieked. "Get off of him now!"

"You shouldn't have gotten in my way!" Jacob got up and kicked Riker in the stomach.

I ran up behind Jacob and started hitting his back. "Leave him alone!" I cried.

Jacob became angry at my sudden assault and turned around, striking me across the face with the back of his hand. The hit sent me flying to the ground onto my stomach.

Rolling onto my side, I cupped my cheek in my hand. "That's enough Jacob! You've proven your point!" Tears started falling down my face.

"Ashley." His face relaxed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hit you. I was just angry."

"Go Jacob!" I spit out at him.

He knelt down beside me and tried to touch my throbbing cheek. "I'm sorry."

I slapped his hand. "Leave!"

He looked hurt, but I didn't care. Jacob got up and ran to his car.

"Riker!" I sobbed, crawling over to him. "Please open your eyes, baby."

His eyes were closed and he wouldn't answer. I pushed the bloody hair off of his face. "Talk to me."

His lips started to curl into a smile. "Did you just call me baby?"

I started laughing, but tears were still in my eyes. "Is that all you got out of that?"

"No, but it's all I wanted to focus on."

"Can you get up? Are you alright? Do you need to go to the hospital?"

Riker's eyes slowly opened. The first thing he saw was the mark on my cheek. "He hit you?"

"The only thing that matters is that he stopped hitting you." I touched his cheek.

"I would have rather him keep pounding on me. You didn't deserve that." He pushed himself up to sit.

"Have you seen yourself? You didn't deserve it either."

"Your eye is going to turn black and blue."

"You never answered my question." I tried distracting him.

"I don't need the hospital. Just help me up."

I stood up straight and grabbed his elbow. "I think I'll drive home."

"Good idea." He grunted.

I helped Riker up and to the car, then drove us home.

"I'll help you in then I'll come back for the twins." I suggested.

"I can grab one." He struggled to unbuckle his seat belt.

"I got it." I hit his hand away from the buckle.