Chapter 34

(Rocky's point of view)

My room was so empty now. I missed Ashley being in here with me. I missed her. I missed her touch. I even missed the kids being in here. Would she be ok with it if I went to see her? It was late at night. Was she sleeping yet? I had to know. I wanted to see her. Ever so quietly, I crept down the hallway to the guest room. I didn't bother knocking. I just opened the door and went in.

It was dark in the room. The only light was the light from the hallway. She must have been sleeping.

"Rocky?" Ashley whispered. "What are you doing?"

I stood in the doorway. "I wanted to see if you were sleeping."

"I'm not." She sat up. "I haven't been able to fall asleep for almost two hours now. Why did you want to know if I was sleeping?"

I looked at the floor. "I miss you."

She sighed. "I'm sorry."

"There's nothing for you to be sorry about. I just worry about you."

"You shouldn't have to worry about me." She rubbed her eyes.

"Why can't you sleep?" I asked.

"I don't know. I'm really tired, I just can't fall asleep."

"Can I do anything for you?"

She was quiet. "Yeah." She whispered. "Will you lay with me?"

I smiled. "Of course I will." Pushing the door closed, I headed for the bed.

Her skin was cold when I touched her. She curled up against my chest and I pulled her into me. Her hair smelled like vanilla.

"Is this better?" I whispered.

She didn't answer. She had already fallen asleep in my arms.

----------------------------------------------

(Ashley's point of view)

I woke up in the morning still wrapped in Rocky's arms. Maybe I shouldn't have moved out of his room. I wanted to be with him. He just couldn't trust me. I've done too much to him. I looked up to see him awake.

"You didn't have to stay all night." I lied. I really did want him here with me.

He smiled. "I wanted to stay."

I closed my eyes and listened to him breathe. It was so peaceful. This was how I wanted to wake up every morning.

"I should go." He pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Why?" I sat up slightly.

"We aren't together anymore. If someone sees me in here with you, they might think differently."

I didn't answer. I wanted to tell him to stay and that I was wrong, but I couldn't. We couldn't be together until he proved to me that he could trust me. I sat quietly and slowly watched Rocky slip out from under the sheets and leave me alone.

*

Later that day Rydel came into the guest room.

"Why aren't you dressed?" She squealed.

I looked down at my jeans and baggy shirt. "I have clothes on."

"But you aren't dressed for dinner." She headed to the closet.

"Why do I have to be dressed for dinner? Isn't it just us?" I followed behind her.

"Actually, we invited Blake over for dinner."