05| introductions and a red dress

"Excuse me? I have to what?"

"Meet the pack. I've said this a thousand times." Samantha repeats.

"You're not getting out of it," she warns, flicking the blond wisps out of her face. "You're not just being introduced to the members: you have to be formally recorded in Pack records, officially titled as the Jaci and meet the other 7 Alphas and their Jaci as well."

"Meet the other Alphas? Are they women too?"

Samantha laughs like it's a funny joke. "Of course--what do you think they are, men? Men don't hold positions of power in Packs--that's like giving a stick of dynamite to a baby and expecting the baby to take care of it. Male wolves are much too volatile and temperamental to run packs, especially in secret from humans."

I frown a little, stung by the comment. Men would be just as good as women in running packs, I thought.

"Lana wouldn't agree with what I'm saying however. She believes Pack Leadership should be "integrated" and both male and female Alphas should exist in the community. I disagree--but wolf politics aren't something you should concern yourself with. Your main focus right now should be what tux you should wear to the gathering tonight."

Fuming, I feebly punch the wall to my right, my anger rising. "I don't want a tux! I don't want to meet anymore wolves! I want to--" A sudden whoosh of air and stinging suddenly stopped my complaining. She slapped me.

"Hey! Calm the fuck down! Listen, I get it, alright? I get that you're frustrated and tired and scared but can you for once not think about yourself for a moment? Do you know how hard it is for her--to hear you constantly scream that you want to leave her? To know that the only thing that comforts her mate is the thought of her far away from you? Do you know how hard it is to have a human mate in general? All Jacis in existence are wolves--all. She runs the biggest pack in existence and now not only has to worry about that but now she has to worry about you and every thoughtless decision you make!

"I know about you and Jenny's little moment, by the way--what were you even thinking? You know what?"

She suddenly throws my tux at me and walks toward the door with the intention of leaving but not without turning her head to face me once more. "Marcus, just be prepared. She might act like this now--worrying, possessive, attentive--but it won't last forever. You'll be made aware of that tonight."

And on that note, she slams the door so hard that a hinge breaks off. Damn wolf strength, I thought. What the hell was she ranting on--that Lana was having a hard time? I didn't care about her troubles, she was the one who kidnapped me! The one who bit me!

Why was everyone making it out to seem like I was the one being unreasonable when I had a concave of a bite digging into my shoulder, throbbing every second? Did she have to walk around with giant maul scars? No. Did she have to be trapped in a forest halfway across the world and obey everyone's orders because they spoke Mandarin and called themselves werewolves? No. Was she expected to dress up and act like she wanted to be here? No. Why should I care about her problems--I don't even know her!

A knock on the door cut off my inner musings. A familiar voice echoed round the room.

"Hey Marcus? It's me, Logan. You changed yet--Introduction's about to start and me being your guard obliges me to escort you." Quickly stuffing my body into the tux, I reply, "Yeah, come in. I'm ready."

At the sight of me, he lets out a low whistle. "A certain Alpha's not gonna be able to resist you tonight! In any case, lets get going. The other Alphas should have arrived and Lana's waiting for you downstairs."

Marcus' comment seem to backfire on me as Lana barely even spared me a glance over before ordering me to get in the car. I, however, was the one who was enchanted. I wasn't kidding when I said she was the most attractive woman I had ever seen. Her tall, athletic body was accentuated in a short, crimson cocktail dress. Red like the blood she had on yesterday? my subconscious whispers darkly. Now was not the time to focus on that--but to focus on that, her ample chest displayed in the v-neckline of the dress. Her taut, toned legs were elongated by the heels clad on her big feet.