08| glass breaking revelations

I sat on the pressed-white bed of the Pack hospital, the slow rush of medicine flowing through an IV lodged into my arm. A halfheartedly drunk juice box was clasped limply in my pale fingers as the chewed up straw tried relentlessly to reach my dry, cracked lips. The scent of my unwashed armpits wafted through my nostrils and I desperately wished to be anywhere but here. My head hurt, my shoulder hurt, everything hurt.

Jenny kissed me.

Why? Had I led her on somehow? And if I did--how? I wasn't the most attractive, charming and outgoing person in the world. I admit I found her beautiful; stunning even--but what did she see in me? I was mated. I have a mate. Why?

"You're awake." A deep timbre arouses my perception and I turn my head sideways to meet the cold, uncaring eyes of Dr. Meinang. "You've been out cold for four days. It's serious business if a human faints for this long without any previous symptoms. No signs of sickness, infection, flu--nothing."

Her voice drops to a harsh whisper. "But you aren't in the human world anymore, and I know what caused this. You think you'll get away with this--kissing any female you like?" A sharp, frightening laughter send a rush of dread through me. "Maybe now she'll finally rid herself of you. Oh look, she's here now."

And true to her word, Lana walks through the doors of the infirmary, a grave expression on her face. Her hair is slightly greasy and there is a slight bluish-purple ring around her eyes. She looks exhausted. Was this my fault? "Dr, thank you for taking care of him. Give us a minute, please." Meinang shoots one last glare at me and nods respectfully at Lana, taking her leave.

What remains is a weak eighteen year old boy laying on a hospital bed and a frazzled Alpha, both trying to find the right words to say. "What happened? How did this happen, I mean."

I reach into my memory to try and recall the moment exactly, and then I remember. "My shoulder--my mark, I mean. It burnt.Stung actually, like someone pouring a vat of salt and iodine solution straight on an open wound." Her face bares no change at my response, but I notice the tight way her fingers are clenched and my heart begins to race.

I didn't give anything away, did I? She couldn't possibly--no, unless she could read minds. She walks to a small cabinet in the center of the infirmary and pulls out a cigarette from a tiny gold box.

"Cigarette's in a hospital room. Bit ironic isn't--" My pathetic attempt at a joke is interrupted as she suddenly grips the edge of the cabinet and flings it across the room towards the window, breaking the glass used to protect it. The shards of glass are the only sounds in the room as I am shocked silent. Oh shit.

"How long will you continue to--" She chokes back a sob. Her upper body begins to shake and she grabs on the railing of the window, the razor sharp shards piercing the palms of her hands. "Marcus, I want to ask you a questions and I want you to answer me as truthfully as you can, alright?" I nod, not wanting to say anything to provoke her. "Do you wan't to leave? If you were given a chance to hop on a plane and continue your life without giving another thought to these past few weeks, would you? Would you leave?" My mouth opens and closes repeatedly as I search for the right words.

"Do you want me to leave?" I finally say. Instead of answering, she lets out a furious, beastly growl that sends the hair on my arms standing up. "Was that what I fucking asked Marcus? Answer the question!" Evaluating my silence as an answer, she sighs. "Alright. I'll send you back. The headmaster of the school you were supposed to is a member of my Pack so you'll have no problems getting back into the swing of things. Your sister and mother have been made to believe you were doing a 3-week-program for new students." She faces me and I swear I see the glint of unshed tears in her eyes. "I won't stop you. Not anymore. You'll be discharged today and I'll take you to see a lady who might be able to rid you of your mark. You'll go home and never have to see me again. Okay? You'll be happy."