19| as expected of storks

11k reads ohmygod i'm losing my shit thank you all so much i remember when this book still had as shitty cover

"I'm challenging you," came the stocky man, his expression stony and resolute.

"Uhh, for what exactly?" I question although I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Don't play obtuse, human. You know what I mean." 

Dropped all pretense of friendship I see, I thought bitterly. Careful, don't you want to put on a show for Lana? I look towards my mate who sat rigid on the pleather couch. Her expression was grim and heavy, her slim fingers clutching the slippery material of the sofa.

"Why?"

"Like I said, you know why. Your very presence is a disgrace to the Central Pack and in turn, a disgrace to all of us. To wolves--a human as Jaci! To the Great Alpha no less! It's almost laughable that you stand here. It's almost laughable that I even have to bring this up."

Sighing, I realized that I wasn't even the least bit angry at his words. "It's like a broken record," I begin. "The same words, the same things being said by different people. Oh, you're a human, blah blah, oh you'll make the Alpha weak, yada yada. Drop the bullshit--you're just mad that she choose me and not you--after how many years did she string you along, by the way?"

He lets out an animalistic growl and shoots up from his seat, hunched over menacingly. "What did you just say to me?" he barks, eyes furious.

"Do you not speak English?" I spit back.

"Enough!" Lana shouts, looking up from the spot she had been staring at for the past five minutes. "You," she points to Xlavin who currently has his fists clenched, "Watch your tone. That's my mate you're talking to." She moves her finger to me. "And you, you know better than to provoke a wolf, no matter how right you may be."

"Woah, hey, he started it!" I protest, stung.

She makes a face at me as if to say really? and continues. "Besides, Xlavin can't challenge you anyways."

"I have every right too. In the bylaws of every pack, which you wrote, it states that any Jaci can be challenged--"

"If said Jaci has not been marked by the Alpha in question." She interrupts.

"Yes, exactly. So--"

"So, exactly my point. Come on Xlavin," Lana teases. "Don't tell me you're so blinded by jealousy that you can't even smell him." Xlavin pauses and takes a deep, almost comical, sniff of the air and immediately focuses on my shoulder. "No," he whispers, almost to himself. "No, you didn't."

"I did." she says solemnly, a hint of pity in her voice.

"No, you promised me."

"I did, once. Time has passed."