33 - Next Exit Out The Window

Chapter 33

Next Exit Out The Window

It was a beautiful Friday morning, the sun was shining, the air was crisp and cold. However we were trapped inside the great hall, students sat on rows of wooden chairs facing the stage, awaiting the speech that was meant to be given during this assembly.

"This is such a waste time. We could be catching the last bit of sunlight before it properly disappears for winter." Alice whined, fussing in her chair.

Kyle copied her actions and also whinged, "Doesn't the Headmaster know how rare this is to get a blue sky and clear sun in the middle of November?"

"Oh shush both of you. Aren't you the littlest bit excited for those cold mornings, with frost building on your windows and seeing your breath in front of you?" I asked all giddy.

Both Kyle and Alice gave me our classic 'WTF is wrong with you' glare and drawled out a, "Nooooo."

I sighed and slumped down in my chair, "You two don't understand the beauty that is Winter."

Thank goodness our Headmaster arrived just on time to stop Kyle's and Alice's counter argument as to why Winter was an ugly piece of sh-

Our headmaster walked onto the stage.

"Alright students." Mr Harrod called out and the chatter lulled to a stop. "I'll get straight to it and tell you the good news. This year you will put together a production for the end of year Winter Show!"

Winter show? I recalled Alice talking about this. It was a Westrow High tradition that students come together at the end of the year and put on a Winter show. Alice told me last year the students put together a play based on Cinderella and it went down a storm. The acting, singing and dancing were on point.

The head of the drama department stood on stage facing the students of our year, most with bored faces who thought they could be doing something better.

"As you all know, last year's performance was beyond exceptional, therefore this year you lot are going to have to top them ten fold! So now I shall pick a theme or 'story' from the hat that this year's production will be about!"

She really reminded me of Mrs Darbous from Highschool Musical.

She placed her hands into the hat, rummaged about with an over dramatic expression, then slowly retracted her hand out holding a white folded piece of paper. With the suspense, someone would think this was Reaping from the Hunger Games.

"And the theme is...Beauty and the Beast!" She called out loud and clearly as Effie did.

So it was no surprise that someone called out,

"I volunteer as tribute!"

The hall erupted in laughter whilst Mrs Hanes looked unimpressed. The hall quietened down after the head teacher clapped his hands and Mrs Hanes began again.

"Ahem. Now that we have the theme, planning shall begin as soon as possible and I want all of you to contribute towards helping with this magnificent production about the beauty that is Belle and the beast that is, well, the beast."

I zoned out a little after because she began to give a motivational speech that wasn't even motivational.

"Rose. Earth to Rose? Rose!"

I snapped out of it and realised that I was moving with the crowd out of the hall. I hadn't even noticed Mrs Hanes had finished talking.

"Oh sorry, what were you saying?" I asked Alice.