Chapter 40 The Scent of Untrustworthy

Chapter 40

Walking up to Steven McGinnis' house, I could tell he was wealthy. The house itself was lavish looking from the outside, with pillars on either side of the door, large windows and with three floors. I could even see a swimming pool round the back and the front garden was well tended to. The flower bed was plentiful and the large hedges were cleanly cut.

Now this is what it was supposed to look like if it wasn't for the beer bottles, classic red cups and other alcohol beverages that were already laid askew in the grass. Even before we entered through the front door, my expectations were exactly correct.

It was loud, crowed, messy, sweaty and crazy. My first high school party and I royally hated it, as expected. At first glance I saw crowds of people from school but then I noticed that there were some people here that I'd never seen before who looked older than us. I thought only our year was supposed to be attending. I tried to tell Alice this but she had already moved to the dance floor. The DJ was set up on a platform in front of the fireplace and pumped the music which Alice moved to vigorously.

Rather than joining her, I became a wall flower. I stuck near the edge of the room and managed to manoeuvre myself into the kitchen where I bumped into the one and only, Steven McGinnis. He looked as though he was going to ignore me but then he gave me second glance.

"Rose?" He looked surprised. "I was worried you didn't get the invite. Glad you could make it."

Now usually Steven would never speak to me even though we shared most of our classes together. This was just a sure sign that he was drunk. Another sign was the fact one of his eye lids would blink one after the other and his words were slightly slurred.

"Uh, thanks Steven, for the invite I mean." I shuffled awkwardly from foot to foot as I was scrutinised under his drunken gaze.

He was about to say something more when the DJ switched to a louder music that blared on the speakers and they drowned out his words. I looked confused as I tried to lip read but he suddenly leaned down to my ear.

"You look different tonight." His face was ever so close to mine that I flinched away from him.

Luckily he didn't notice because as soon as he yelled in my ear he was whisked away by some girl that was wearing a dress that looked more like a top.

I internally sighed and sat down on one of the kitchen island chairs whilst pulling a bottle of 7up from the cooler and began to chug it to calm myself. I watched the scene around me of teens I'd never seen before dancing with teens from my school, all getting tipsy. I shook my head. What on earth was I doing here?

"What on earth are you doing here?"

Eh? Who said that?

I whisked around to see none other than Edward Darlton. The prick from the posh tea party.

"Oh." Was all I could say. I mean I couldn't really call him a friend as this chap did try to hit on me and behaved like an utter moron.

He looked different in this setting. Scanning him, I noticed his clothes were common compared to his suit from last time and there weren't many designer's brands that were glaringly obvious except from his Rolex. He seemed rather normal and not some stuck up, spoilt, rich kid.

"Now what is a delicate rose like you doing at a rather dangerous party like this?"

His voice was as annoying as I'd remember it to be. I refused to reply to his question and chose to walk away however a guy appeared out of nowhere, preventing from walking away.

The new guy gave a low whistle. "She's not half bad." He looked me up and down with a strange gaze in his eyes dark brown eyes.

I recoiled. He reeked of alcohol, cigarette smoke but also something else that I wasn't familiar with.