Unknown Destiny

I look at my sleeping mother and sister. They lay shivering on the wooden floor. Mother frowned, even in her sleep. Sister hugged her teddy bear tightly. My nose stung, and my vision blurred. They didn't deserve this life.

I had to do this.

Closing the door, I walk over to my room. Stacks of papers and files have taken up most of the space, but I threw some away so I could fit the desk and chair. Most of the papers were bills, debts, and receipts. I take the black duffel bag and sling it over my shoulder. Inside is my computer and everything I need for Hacker Academy.

I take out a receipt and write on the back of it.

Dear mother and sister,
I'm going away because I've found a place to work. Don't worry, they provide a place to stay with food and everything. They have pretty good pay. I'm so sorry to leave you like this, but I promise I'll make things better. I'll send money often.
I won't let you down.

Ada

New York was busy today. Taxis and cars lined the road, all honking. Gloomy grey skies cover the city, and I feel a few splats of rain on the top of my head. As if on cue everyone around me takes out their black umbrellas and create a forcefield around themselves. I grunt and pull up my dark red hoodie. The sidewalk was crowded, and I was shoved to the middle. I took out my phone and logged in.

[This is Ada Ingres. HN1000.]
Someone instantly replied.
[Hey HN1000. You've hacked into Hacker Academy's admin hacker. What do you need?]
[How do I get to Hacker Academy?]
[What's the closest subway station to you?]
[Racter.]
[Go to that station. Wait there.]

How would I get to Hacker Academy? By train? If the government knew there was a school for hackers, they would've shut it down. Why on earth a train station?

I wait at Racter station. There were people waiting for the train as well. Teenagers, mothers, and businessmen. Were they any different than me? Were they here for Hacker Academy as well? The power falters, and the lights flick on and off before completely dying. The PA spoke.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Due to a technology malfunction on Subway Racter from HQ, we will be closing this line down. We advise everyone to go to the nearest station while we fix this inconvenience. Thank you for your cooperation."

My phone buzzed.

[Malfunction happened yet?]
[Did you do that?]
[Yup. I hacked the HQ for station Racter. Now blend in the crowd. You need to stay on this station. Don't let the officers find you. Hide on the tracks]
[The tracks?]
[Yes]

Someone pushes me and I stagger. Everyone around me grumbles and head for the exit. I make my way across to the tracks. "This is madness," I mutter and hop down onto the train tracks. I hide behind the tunnel way so I was hiding in the shadows. Most people have left, and now it was only the officers scanning the station. I was out of those officers' sight.

[Now what do I do?]
[You are in the right place. Wait]
[What happens if there's a train coming?]
[Exactly]
[What do you mean exactly? That's damn crazy. What's going to happen? Where is Hacker Academy?]

Administrative Hacker didn't reply as fast.
[Now is the important part HN1000. This will get you where you need to go. Wait]

Two bright lights flashed at me. I turned around. A train was coming. Wait when a train was coming? I didn't think so. I was going to get hit by a damn train, no way was I going to wait.

Mother and sister flash before my eyes. I bite my lip.
Hesitantly I turn myself around to face the other side of the tracks instead of the coming train. This was for them. Hacker Academy was the ticket to better lives for them. The cold tracks vibrate harder and louder, and I hear the train blare its horn. I close my eyes.

I was on a train.