Unexpected

The next day, I decide to skip school. I raise my head to look at the grey skies and looming clouds. I shove my fists into my jacket pockets and make my way to the HackCity mall. My footsteps sound like thunder against the concrete ground, which makes me wonder if I had too much to drink yesterday. But I didn't even have a single drop of beer. Cyber did.

I groan. Everything I think about always goes back to him. I'm starting to wonder if living in HackCity is healthy. I've been earning lots of money here, but the secrets this city seems to be hiding might be too much for me. I need to get away from it all.

Even when I try to get away from hacking, my feet land on the top floor of the HackCity mall. I'm back to the hacking dome, where Perl is standing behind the counter. She sees me and motions for me to come over.

"Hey," she smiles. "Long time no see."
I nod curtly. She's still in a black tank top. Doesn't she get cold here? I look behind me to see a few starstruck schoolboys looking our way. She smiles at them. Not to mention a lot of ogling.

"So, what'll be today? The usual rounds? Or would you like a supreme match? It starts in less than ten minutes-"
"Not today." I hop onto the stool. Perl has a few drinks behind the counter, but they're all too bitter for my taste. Maybe I'm just looking for someone to hear me.
"Okay, that's fine." She leans on the counter and crosses her arms. "What can I do for you today?"

I sigh. "I don't know. Do you ever get sick of HackCity?"
She raises her eyebrows. She thinks for a moment. Her silence lasts a little too long to be comfortable, so I tell her to forget the stupid question.
"No no, wait. I have been overwhelmed of this city at times. But," she offers a sheepish smile. A rare look on the usually confident Perl. "I was born here, so even if I were sick of HackCity, where would I go?"

I open my mouth but no words come out. It never occurred to me that Perl would wish for something. The girl seems to have everything. Looks, confidence, a secure family. Not that I know her family. But she has a point. Perl doesn't know what lies beyond the boundaries of this surreal city. On the other hand, I have memories of New York city. Most importantly, I have mother and sister to go back to.

"But it's okay," she slides her finger along the counter absentmindedly. "I don't mind the life here. My mom seems to like working in Hacker Academy-"

Now it's my turn to be wide-eyed. "Your mom works in Hacker Academy?"
Fear flashes across her face before she quickly recollects herself and laughs. "And the truth is out. It's already hard enough answering the home-school questions."
"Why not go to Hacker Academy?"

Even though she scrunches her eyebrows as if in pain, the helpless look makes me wonder if she needed someone to talk to as well.

"I really don't know. She won't let me." She goes back to making swirling patterns with her finger. "Not that I need to go. She says I'm perfectly caught up on the curriculum." She mumbles the last sentence.

I nod as if I'm following, but really, I don't get it at all. Why would her mom take the extra trouble to homeschool Perl if she could teach her at Hacker Academy?

"If it makes you feel any better," I say. "I would've really liked to be classmates."
"Yeah," she perks up. "I would've liked that too."

We slowly shift into an awkward silence. I glance at the hacking tables, and Perl amuses herself with the plastic flowers arranged on the counter beside the sign-up sheet. As if remembering something, she perks up again.

"Cyber's not with you today?"
It hits me that we usually come here to hack together. Another place that always reminds me of Cyber.
"No, not today."

She looks down, dejected again. How am I supposed to make her feel better? Go down to the food court with her to grab a bite? She's working, I can't drag her down there right now. But I don't have time to just wait here until she has her break. I just want to leave.

Perl's face is turning into a pinkish hue. She might be embarrassed for telling me so much earlier. She probably doesn't want me around anymore. She wrings her hands as she paces back and forth. Just as I'm about to leave, Perl slams her palms on the counter, making me jump in my seat.

"Do you like Cyber?!"
Where the hell did that come from?

I'm utterly speechless. I think back to all those times coming to the dome to hack with Cyber. Always laughing and teasing Cyber as Perl watched from a distance. Did she look at it the wrong way?
"Of course not."

"Really?" She arched an eyebrow. "Two seem close."
"Look, I don't know where you got that idea from, but we're not like that." I try to fight the growing heat that's spreading to my cheeks. I'm just embarrassed talking about this. I've never talked about love with anyone.
"In fact, we're not even friends."
"Something more?"
"No."

"So," She drawls out. "You wouldn't mind if I asked Cyber out?"
I flinch. "Out- as in on a date?"
"Yeah."

A million questions race through my mind. Has Perl always liked Cyber? For how long? Did she think I interfered with her chance with him? Does the guy even know how to date? A cold shiver runs down my arms. There's nothing special about Cyber. Except possessing a great skill in arrogance. No way would I ever want to date the guy.

"Yeah, go ahead."
"Really?" She says skeptically.
"I don't know what you see in him, but go ahead."
"Well... okay. Thanks."
Again, the award silence is stifling. It's still morning. There's no way I can spend the rest of the day here with Perl. Especially after that.

Then an idea comes into my mind. I pull out my phone and text someone.
"Triple the usual rounds." I tell Perl. She nods, probably relieved to have something to do and quickly signs me in.

The speaker turns on.
"Ada Ingres."

I'm back.