Unix

She stares right at me.

Her eyes narrow. "Who are you?"

I shrug. "Hacker number 1000?"

Her snarling mouth instantly curves into a smile. "Domain told me about you." She suddenly becomes conscious of her messy side of the room. "Sorry, I can't believe you came in like this. So embarrassing." She laughs shyly and makes her bed. Her hair is in a bun, and it hopps up and down as she walks across the room to the sink.

"What's your name?" She looks through the glass to me.

"Ada."

"That's such a nice name. I'm Unix."

"That's a nice name too."

"Really? Aww, you're too sweet."

At this point, I'm a little terrified of her jumpiness. She's small, but she's extremely energetic. I'm glad to have a nice roommate, though. Unix was Japanese, and when I stood up, I noticed how I was a head taller than her. I take out my computer and place it on my desk.

"You're way better than the last Hacker number 1000. I'm sure we'll be great friends. Right?"

"Uh, yeah." This was awkward.

"The last 1000 was nice too. A little dumb and reckless, but she was okay."

She sat on her bed and smiled at me. "Tell me about yourself."

I started having cold sweat. Calm down, Ada.

"I have a mom and a little sister. I came to Hacker Academy for them."

She closed her eyes. "It must be nice to have someone to live for."

Where was this conversation going?

"So how about you? Why'd you come to Hacker Academy?"

Unix stood up and started searching for something in her bag. She pulled out instant noodles. "You want some?"

I nodded, then realized she completely ignored my question.

She started steaming up the kettle, and we waited.

"What Hacker number are you?" I asked.

"Hacker 999. Just one level higher than you. I do try very hard to keep up my rank, since this is my second time." She laughed sheepishly.

"Second time?"

"Yes. One time I got to hacker 1005, so they kicked me out. But after that I went back to my good old number. I'm staying here for good."

The kettle sprang, and Unix poured the hot water into two noodle cups. She handed one to me.

I was about to drink the soup when Unix shouted.

"Hey!"

I burned my tongue.

"Oops. Sorry!" She put on an innocent face.

She has drained out my energy in just 15 minutes.

"I was thinking," she put her cup on her desk and beamed at me. "After we finish lets go outside. I'll show you around Hacker Academy. It'll be fun."

I didn't feel like doing it. Not with her jumping around everywhere.

"Please please pretty please?" She gave a puppy dog face.

I sighed. "Sure."

"Over here!" Unix tugged me over.