Finale III

My mother read "Alice in Wonderland" a long time ago when I was a little girl. The thought of falling into a rabbit hole and finding myself immersed in a completely new world always intrigued me. It seemed like a wonderful way to escape reality, especially as the nights got colder, food was scarcer, and the fights were louder.

I loved the white rabbit and the Cheshire cat. They were beloved companions throughout the story, and I had wished for such friends in my life. But I never paid too much attention to the Queen of Hearts and how much she wanted to kill Alice. I never gave it much thought as to how Alice got out either. But I pined for the fantasy world that I wished so much to be in.

As I look back now, I can barely imagine that I've actually gone on a wonderland adventure myself. Although not as fantastical as the one in the beloved storybook, it definitely felt like I was trippin'.

The warmth of Cyber's arms around me and my head buried in his chest would've brought a blush to my cheeks if only I wasn't sore all over. Cyber groans. The light of day pierces my eyes, and I slowly open them. Domain and Unix come into my view. I sit up quickly.

"You guys are alright!"

Unix kneels down to wrap me in a tight hug. "We were so worried about you! When Miss Tag tied us up and teleported us I was so sure you would be-"

"She got the point," Domain pulls her back. I look up at him with sincerity. "I'm glad you're okay."

He shoves his hands into his pockets. "Yeah, well, so is all of HackCity."

"What?"

Cyber tugs me close and murmurs in my ear. "Look around you, Ada."

Sure enough, I see other people all across the city who are standing, sitting, rubbing their eyes as if they had just emerged from a very dark place. They look lost, but also relieved. Tears sting my eyes. Then I jolt forward with the thought, "Tag and Perl."

"Tag teleported to who knows where," Domain said.

I look at Cyber who says, "Perl didn't make it to the portal."

My body sags in relief with the news.

"The Pythons will pay for their crimes," Cyber says darkly.

"I just have one request, if I may," I bite my lip. "Please leave Celestia out of this. She's done nothing wrong."

He nods.

In the distance, I see two people running towards me. When they're close enough, I recognize it's mom and sister, and I stand up with renewed strength to embrace them.

"Where did you go?" Mom sobs into my shoulders.

I hold them close. "It's a long story," I say. "But I'm never leaving again."

Sister points to Cyber. "Who is he?"

"I'm glad you asked," Unix butts in. "I'm so happy and honoured to introduce you to Ada's boyfriend."

I can feel mom tense up as she pulls away. She raises an eyebrow. "Boyfriend?"

"That's also a long story for which I will save later because I'm so tired," I say quickly.

I feel my hand being tugged from behind. I look behind and see Cyber with a bright smile. I take a few steps back to survey the whole scene. People are talking to one another, trying to make sense of everything.

Domain, Unix, Cyber, are here. Mom and sister are here. All of the people that I care about the most are all here with me. There's nothing more I could want. A vibration from my phone surprises me. I take it out.

[Congratulations Ada. You are HN 1.]

In utter disbelief, I look at Cyber for an answer.

"Looks like you finally beat me."

"How is this possible?"

"I wiped everyone's databases off the HN charts. You must've teleported back in HackCity after the shutdown, which re-entered your account into the system. And you were hacking to reconfigure the teleportation portal, that's why there's a database of your account on the charts."

Only one thought comes through, "Is HackCity still operating?"

"Doubt it."

I'm not exactly reassured by his answer, but he shrugs and gives me a soft shoulder bump. "I'm sorry about what happened earlier with stunning you... I wasn't in the right mind."

"I understand."

Relief floods his face. "So, did your wish come true?" He smiles.

"What wish?"

"Of beating me."

"Please." I roll my eyes. "I beat you a long time ago."

He grins. "True, you had my heart a long time ago."

I tug on his sleeve. "What was your name before... HackCity?"

There's a pause. "Why?"

"I want to know the real you and accept you for who you really are. Let's start over."

He rubs the back of his neck. "If you really must know. Chrys."

"Huh." I wipe the dust off his cheeks. "That'll take some time getting used to."

He holds me closer by the waist. "We have all the time in the world."

Together, with all of us, we head towards mom and sister's new home. Our home. Everyone in the world may be wondering what on earth happened to these teleported people popping up everywhere in the world. I don't have a rousing speech of unity for the lost people of HackCity. I don't plan on showing my face to every cable news network and exposing every layer of secrets.

The people of HackCity are people just like me. I was just a girl who needed money to support my mom and sister. I didn't think it'd bring me to HackCity, Hacker Academy, and its thinly connected string of lies and dark secrets that could (and did) snap the city in ruins. I was given another chance, and now, I want to return the favour. The world doesn't need to know one more secret.

With Domain, Unix, mom, sister, Cyber, beside me, I am perfectly content with the way my life turned out to be. This is one of the happiest days of my life, and I'm sure there will be many more to come.

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

2 Timothy 4:7

The End.