Clueless

We're the only ones on the streets not looking at computers.

"Won't they get hit by a car or something?" I ask.
Unix waves her hand. "Nah, they know where they're going."

People stare at their screens and type, barely avoiding me. One girl bumps into me. If people weren't looking at their devices, they had earbuds or headphones on, zoning out the world.

Above me are huge screens introducing the latest product. "Try Computer Flash 1.1! It's the newest." I stare at it for just a moment before ramming into someone. He glares at me. I say a quick sorry.

"You get used to it," Domain said with a small shrug.

My eyes widen as I realize a car is about to hit us. "Look out!" I push Domain forward. The car stops, and Domain gets up as soon as he fell down.

"Woman, what is with you?"
I point at the car that quickly speeds away. "That car was about to hit us."
"It's not like it was going to kill us on purpose. Seriously 1000, ease up."
I sigh and walk among the flow of people.

Maybe I'm just tense from everything that's happened. Moving to HackCity was only a week ago. Being around Unix and all the strange hackers is draining the life out of me, but it's also made me curious about the different life here. I have lots to learn, but it's also kind of a relief to be out of the school and seeing the city I will be living in for a long time.

Unix, Domain, and I stand in front of a large building with the words, HackCity Commercial Mall.

"I'm spending big this time," Unix says as she walks into the mall. Domain and I follow after her quick footsteps.

Domain pushes his glasses. "Yes, but you gotta think about how much money you have left."

Unix waves her hand, tossing his remark aside. "I have like 1000 hackcoins. I'm good."

"Don't make me help you out. Especially on stores with French names."

Unix laughs, and Domain seems utterly puzzled. I stand at the center of the mall.

The mall is 3 buildings connected to each other by glass bridges. Neon lights circle the building. The entrance in front has glowing neon arcs, and I can see through the glass doors that the inside is glowing.

"Beats your average mall in New York," Domain says as he starts walking to the entrance.

The mall is circular with streaks of blue and purple light coming from the shops, but other than that, the entire mall is dark. People walk by with bags and food I've never seen before. Unix points to the elevators.

We walk around, and I see watches on display. A small light is projected from the watch, making it a hologram that can show pictures. The clothing stores mostly sell black clothes with an occasional white shirt. Loud disco music blares from the shops.

We get in the elevator, and floors just like the first one are busy, dark, and magical. The best New York mall can't even come close to this one. When we get out, I notice this floor is different. Instead of the club atmosphere like the floors below, this floor is filled with golden light. The stores are made of glass and they look like palaces.

Unix bounces up and down then races to the nearest shop. Domain groans and follows along. So this is what Domain said about the French name stores. The interior decorating alone must have cost thousands.

This store must have been going for a nature resort, because there's an actual pool in here for the customers to dip their feet in while browsing. I pass the offer, but Domain immediately rolls his jeans up and sinks his feet in.