Dormitories

I press the button on the 100th floor that will lead me to my dormitory.

This elevator is circular, and it's made out of glass. It shoots up, and my stomach is flipping cartwheels. My heart is pounding. It feels like a hundred needles are pinching my heart.

I slowly walk out the elevator doors. This is not what I was expecting. I was encircled with metal doors. The rooms are labeled from 1 to 10. Each door is big and made of metal, like the safe locks in a bank. On a door is a rectangular scanner. I try scanning door 1 with my citizen card.

It makes a banging sound, and the scanner turns red. I walk to the next one. Each one banged, and finally, I reach door 10. The scanner makes a beep, and the door unlocks. I have to use both hands to pry open the door.

No one is here, but there are obvious signs of someone living in the dorm. The right side of the room is covered in empty chip bags, pop cans left on top of papers. The covers on the bed are carelessly tossed, like the person just got up and left. I furrow my eyebrows and wrinkle my nose.

I glance at the bathroom. It's made out of glass. Freaking glass. Not the material I would choose for a bathroom. There's still water in a cup, the toothpaste cap is unscrewed, and towels of every colour decorate the bathroom. It's smelling a little funny.

Sighing, I take the bed on the left and drop my backpack on the floor. I have my own desk on the side, and white bookshelves line the walls. Suddenly feeling heavy from the day, I flop on the bed. The covers are surprisingly soft. I did it. I really did it. I moved to Hacker Academy to help mother and sister. 

I chuckle silently to myself. To a city I don't even know how I came.

Beep.

My heart pinches and I sit up.

The door opens.