Peculiar

An academy in New York would never have a cocktail bar, but this is Hacker Academy. 

When we step out of the elevator, Cyber and Unix guide me to the side of the school cafeteria. At the very end is a narrow entrance with a neon sign above. 

 I expected a shady bar with a few drunk hackers, but instead, I see the exact opposite. The DJ in the corner is pumping out killer beats while a few students in classy clothing dance on the floor. To the right is a bar, the wall illuminated with bright neon lights. Bottles of whiskey and beer are stacked meticulously behind the bartender. The counter is rimmed with a soft white glow that leads to the floor of the entire place. 

Behind me, a soft voice mutters in my ear. "What do you think?"

I'm breathless. It could be from the deep tremor in his voice or just the sight of the bar. Either way, it is intoxicating. 

"A-are there any more secret hideouts in Hacker Academy you'd like to show me?" I tease. 

"There is this one place-"

"Domain!" Unix calls from behind us. We see him lounging on a large couch lazily, his glasses almost slipping off the bridge of his nose. He suddenly reminds me of a sloth. He waves casually before glancing back at his phone. Unix prances over to him, eager to see what he's looking at. Probably beach pictures. 

We make our way over. There's enough space for the two of us on the other side of the couch. As soon as we sit down, Domain scrunches his face in confusion at the sight of Cyber. 

"What's he doing here?"

"Cyber dragged me here," I explain. "And Unix dragged you here."

Domain lets the words sink in before shrugging. "Not like I had anything better to do. I'll order." Domain heaves himself from the couch and slings an arm around Unix. 

"Let's go."

Despite the DJ's loud music, the awkwardness between Cyber and I is deafening. I can only fidget with my hands as Cyber looks around the place. Not like it's his first time here. He finally clears his throat and attempts to speak.

"So, congratulations on your job."

"Thanks," I say. "But getting a job means I still can't hack as many assignments to make a living."

Cyber shakes his head earnestly. "It means you're diligent. Tag wouldn't ever consider about giving me a job."

"Why?"

"I slack off."

I want to retort that even if he slacks off he can still make a living by leisurely hacking, but Unix and Domain drop by our table with four beers. 

"There," Domain says proudly. "Each of the best beers in HackCity."

"Yo man," Cyber looks at him. "Did you get me those beers for Christmas?"

Domain cackles. "Yeah! I was your Secret Santa. Not a secret anymore, huh?"

Cyber looks down at the beer in front of him and chuckles to himself. "Thanks man. They were good."

"Damn right they are. I should know myself." Domain collapses on the couch and guzzles down the beer. Unix takes a tiny sip of hers before drinking it down in one breath. I push mine away, but no one seems to notice. 

"Are we talking about our Secret Santas?" Unix lights up. "I had Ada."

"No shit," Domain says. She must've told him ages ago. The colour on his face is turning warmer.