You lied (Chapter 18)

**Sweeney POV**

Lucy's jaw drops open, she stutters for a while trying to say something but her mouth can't seem to form words.

After a awkward silence she speaks "Ben why didn't you tell me?" She asks gently.
I'm surprised that she's being so calm about this and is not getting mad like I thought she would.

"Well...um truthfully..I.." I can't decide whether to tell her that I thought she was dead, it is not something I want to tell her but it is better than lying and saying something like I forgot where she was, or something stupid like that.

I decide on the truth "Lucy, love." I say gently "I haven't been to see you all this time because..." I trail off, I don't know if I can do this.

Lucy looks into my eyes "Because what Ben?" She asks with a slight edge to her voice. I knew she might be slightly mad but hopefully she won't be after this. 

"I thought you were dead." I finish and stare at the ground, not wanting to see the shock on her face.

"Why would you think that Ben?" She asks sadly and I look up to see tears on her beautiful face.
I reach my hand up to brush them away but she moves away from me.

Wait. 

The only reason I thought that Lucy was dead was because Mrs Lovett told me, and I believed her because I didn't have any information to say otherwise. But now for the first time since I learnt that Lucy was alive I take in properly the fact that Mrs Lovett lied to me.

I start shaking with anger and Lucy places a delicate hand on my arm "Ben are you okay?" She asks worriedly.

I know that I'm going to lose it soon so I decide to leave before I do something stupid to Lucy out of anger.

"I think I may be coming down with something." I lie through gritted teeth "I think I should go home Lucy." I stand up, still shaking.

She nods understandingly "I'll come with you." She says lovingly which makes me feel really bad for lying.

"No, Lucy I don't want you to get ill too." I say softly, trying to make it sound like I am saying no for her benefit.

"I understand." She says quietly, looking away from me.

I kneel next to her and cup her face in my hands, looking into her eyes "I promise that I will come to see you as soon as possible, pet."  I tell her in the calmest voice I can muster right now.

She nods and I get up, barely able to contain my rage.

"Goodbye Ben." She says

"Bye for now Lucy." I reply and walk off into the town.

I clench my fists tightly by my sides and grit my teeth to stop myself from screaming out in anger.
That little lier, that scum bag, that witch!! A thousand awful words to describe Mrs Lovett go through my head as I march home, trying to contain my composure until I'm behind closed doors.

**Mrs Lovett**
I'm sitting in my kitchen drinking some tea and thinking about Mr T as always.

The way that he was talking to Lucy's photo earlier was really sad. How I long for him to call me love as he does to Lucy.How I long for him to hold me in his arms and tell me he loves me.I long for these things everyday, yet he is completely oblivious that he is the only thing on my mind.

He is obviously still hung up on Lucy, I just hope that it won't work out and he will come back to me. I know that sounds awful but she doesn't deserve him, I would care for him better than she ever would.