• VIII •

It's a smaller than usual chapter. Hope you still enjoy, though. -May

Dinner—roasted potatoes, barbecue pork chops, and warm rolls –was finished about twenty minutes ago. I went into my room and changed out of my jeans and heavy sweater into some leggings, a tank top, and fuzzy socks.

I sat on the large bed for a few seconds, trying to think of something to do, but nothing came to mind. So, I stood up and walked straight out of my room, only to hit tense muscles. I make a sound of displeasure when I'm forced to take a few steps back.

I look up. "Oh, it's you."

Shaking his head, Zeus dramatically sighs before walking away from me. My jaw drops, and I catch up to him.

"Hey! Where are you going? You know, there's nothing to do around here." I comment when I catch up to him.

Zeus doesn't glance at me. He stomps down the stair case, and because of our height difference, it's a big effort for me to keep up with him. Zeus walks past the dining room, living room, and the kitchen before taking a sharp left and heading towards the front door.

I grab onto his forearm as he opens the door. Zeus quickly turns his head to look at my hand then snap his head to look at me. I ignore the tingles that shoot up my body and the warmth that I feel as I touch him.

"I just want to know where you're going." I say, surprisingly sounding gentle.

I'm surprised again when Zeus's blue eyes soften. I carefully release his arm because who knows, he may turn wolf and run away before he answers. A wave of coldness washes over me. No warmth. No tingles.

"I am visiting a family who is in need more than others." Zeus finally answers.

I perk up at that. I want to help, I think. I voice my thoughts, and Zeus lifts a thick eyebrow in disbelief. His eyes rack down my body, making me squirm under his scrutinizing gaze.

"In socks?" He states, sounding amused.

My cheeks flame, and I angrily stomp over to the shoe rack to grab the boots I have worn on many occasions. Zeus only watches me as I hurriedly put on the boots. Once I finish, I walk back over to him and cross my arms over my chest.

"Happy now?" I snap.

Zeus shrugs his shoulders, turns around and grabs something then faces me. He holds a coat and wordlessly hands it to me. I rush to put the coat on since Zeus doesn't wait for me. Outside it's colder than it was this afternoon. The wind harsher, temperature dropped, and snow flurries falling from the dark night sky.

The snow crunches beneath my boot covered feet as I jog to Zeus's side. I'm already shivering so I shove my hands into the coat's pockets. Zeus isn't wearing a coat despite the cold weather. It must be a wolf thing.

Zeus doesn't go left where the clearing is; he instead goes to the back of the mansion like house. A patio is connected to the back of the house, with an in ground pool, and patio furniture included to the backyard.

After we walk past the necessary summer activities, we go through a small section of woods. Afraid I'll somehow anger Zeus like I normally do, I don't say anything as we walk past more and more trees. I struggle to walk over the tree roots and rocks, but I refuse to ask Zeus for his help. After almost tripping over one root, I look up to see Zeus slowing his pace for me. I almost smile.

When there's no more trees, average sized houses are everywhere. It's sort of like a village. House lights are lit but no one is outside.

As we walk among the houses, I glance inside them to see what families are doing. Some are sitting around kitchen tables eating dinner, watching TV, or heading up stairs for bed. But some don't share the same type of happiness like the others do. My heart aches when I see parents arguing in the kitchen, siblings ignoring each other, and even a man hit a woman.