• XXXIX •

New update! YAY! Enjoy the chapter, because the next one you'll find out why Ryder acts as if he has a stick up his ass everyday. Question: if you were to have a superpower, what would it be? Mine might be to read minds, or shoot ice and snow out of my hands like Elza. But is that even a superpower though??? LOL -May

Frozen in the bath tub, I hope whoever is on the other side of the door would leave so I could relax for thirty minutes. But there's another knock, this time softer, weaker. I know the person isn't Zeus, because I would be able to sense his powerful aura, and because he's the kind of guy to barge in on you, no matter what you're doing.

I know from experience.

"Yes?" I finally huff out, wishing for a moment of me-time.

I'm getting out the tub to dry off and open the door when the person says my name in a sad voice. Recognition hits me, and my heart breaks in half as I sink my body back into the warm water.

"Come in, Caitlyn." I mumble while wondering what she wants.

She hears me, of course, since she is part wolf and the bathroom hesitantly opens. Caitlyn has seen me naked before when we were kids, teenagers, and adults. Things happen when you play in the rain and mud and your mom has to clean you up, when you skinny dip with your senior class, and when you get drunk at a club you're not legal for. I wasn't the drunk who pull my clothes off; Caitlyn was.

Caitlyn closes the door behind her, and I hear her body drop to the floor beside my tub. She must be leaning against the small span of wall that's between the door and tub. I stare at the tiled wall across from me and my feet lift to the tub's knobs, turning them and allowing water to drop into the tub before turning them off again.

We sit in silence—me in the tub, Caitlyn on the floor—until a sob erupts beside me.

My best friend is hurting. Her mate did the unthinkable and was forced to be isolated from the pack, and his mate, for as long as his Alpha deemed. I put myself in my best friend's shoes. She's a new wolf, learning laws that probably don't make sense to her human mind; she jumped into a fresh relationship where forever can literally be true; and she's in a different culture where it's normal to eat raw meat and fight half-naked in the freezing cold.

"Gra-gracious, this is all cr-crazy." She huffs out, another sob stumbles out her mouth.

I don't say anything, but my ears listen.

"I-I tried, but I can't, Aurora." Her voice wavers and she must be shaking her head.

I create a link between me and my best friend and say, "Breathe, calm down," through our link. Her sobs and tears cease immediately, and I move my body to get more comfortable inside the tub. Water sloshes everywhere but I could care less about the mess I'm making.

"Tell me, Caitlyn." I demand, a sense of power rushing out of me.

And she does. She tells me.

"When we crashed, I passed out from impact but was awoken by Ryder. I was confused, covered in blood, and didn't know where you were. He did everything to get me out of my car, cussing under his breath and tearing the seat belt apart. Everything happened so fast, Aurora. One second I was stuck; the next I was being carried by Ryder with my car catching on fire. He kept on walking through the woods, and I would go back and forth between reality and sleep. Until I woke up in a bed with Ryder watching me. I was creeped out, and then he started saying all these things about how we're finally brought together, thankful that I didn't die. And I felt guilty because all I could think about was how hot he looked with his combed hair and outfit! Then I kept staring at him! And he kept staring back!"