• XXX •

The next day, during dinner, I feel the urge to start putting on the Christmas decorations for the pack members. It'll be a nice surprise seeing something new and refreshing for them all. Over a plate of spaghetti and fresh, toasted bread, I ask Zeus if he would want to help me with a surprise.

Zeus was taking a sip of his glass of water when I asked, and he struggles to swallow his sip. I reach over to pat his back.

"Surprise?" He gawks, because he doesn't know anything about this surprise.

Grinning, I say, "Yes, a surprise, Zeus."

Setting his glass of water down on the dining room table, Zeus looks around at everyone who is seated with us, expecting someone to speak up and say what the surprise is. Zeus' blue eyes lastly land on Caitlyn, and Caitlyn squirms in her seat from her Alpha's intense gaze.

I roll my eyes. "She's not going to tell you." Under the table, I kick his shin for good measure. Zeus' blue eyes flash orange, and he gives me a warning glare. But I ignore his gaze and dive my fork into the spaghetti noodles and continue eating my dinner.

Conversations over dinner go back to normal for the rest of the evening. Pack members thank Rebecca for the dinner and leave with containers filled of the leftovers. Ryder stands and tells Zeus he's starting his patrol for the night; and before leaving, Ryder bends down and gives his mate, Caitlyn, a good-bye kiss on her forehead. Caitlyn's blue eyes glaze over in a love-sick way.

"You two get to your surprise." Rebecca stands and smiles at me. "So, no helping with the dishes, Aurora," chides Rebecca.

With that being said, I stand and leave my empty plate and cup on the dining room table. Rolling his blue eyes and still sitting in his throne-like chair, Zeus sighs and looks at the ceiling as if he's trying to ask the gods above to stop him from going with me. Knowing Zeus doesn't want to go with me makes me smile a goofy grin. Because I do know he will love the surprise once he finds out what it is.

"C'mon, boring Alpha." I grab my mate's wrist and pull his appendage towards me, trying to get him to stand.

My goofy smile grows once I hear Zeus' growl of protest. He stands while saying, "I'm not boring." The urge laugh is great, but I remind myself to not laugh—don't laugh, don't smile, don't laugh. I clear my throat to cover up a rising giggle.

Zeus' handsome faces shows a worried expression, causing me to lift an eyebrow. "Do you think I'm boring?"

I'm not expecting a question like that from Zeus. Usually, Zeus would brush a comment like that off his shoulder because he knows I'm joking. Is Zeus boring, I question. Well, he does have the pack to take care of and training and border controls to handle. The fun things that happen between us is our make-out sessions and our arguments (I'll never admit that to him). Our date at the Italian restaurant was really enjoyable.

"Sometimes," I only say.

His expression hardens. "But I like you the way you are!" I rush out, hoping he doesn't get angry and flip the dining room table that still has Rebecca's china and golden candle sticks on it.

Zeus does the opposite and calmly nods his head, his expression going back to a cool, calm one. But the tone of his voice says otherwise. "Let's go, then." Zeus grinds out. I notice the clenching of his jaw. Yup, he's mad.

At the mansion's entrance, I put on my winter necessities—my winter boots and coat and gloves. I grab the bags I bought at Ani's bookstore, minus the leather notebook, and smile an excited smile. Lifting a thick, dark eyebrow, Zeus glances down at my shopping bags and the corners of his mouth slightly lifts. He must see the top of the garden candy cane popping out of the bags.