• IX •

I find myself the next morning, after a long breakfast of cheesy omelets and fresh coffee, wanting to visit the village area and see what this pack is made of. I only glanced inside the windows of the depressing homes; and there's something deep inside of me that wants to do something about it.

I don't know how to do so or where to start.

Zeus is no help because I haven't seen him since last night. I think of him every time my mind falls back to the depressing families I saw last night. I can't image the stress and heavy weight that was put upon him when his father died. I wouldn't be able to handle it—the families that are in need and protecting your pack from trespassers.

I grimace and continue changing into warmer clothes that doesn't consist of yoga pants and fuzzy socks. Once I'm changed, I walk downstairs and past the living room. Ryder and Caitlyn are sitting on one of the plush, leather couches watching a TV show. Ryder catches my eye and immediately stomps over to me with an angry look.

"You're actually trying to leave, again? After everything Zeus has told you?" He demands.

I stand in front of him; hand on a cocked hip and a blonde eyebrow rose. "No, dumbass. I'm walking around the pack because I want to," A thought pops into my mind. "You can't do anything about it."

Ryder's jaw drops and he looks to Caitlyn as if she can do anything. Caitlyn winks at me before asking Ryder to sit back beside her, also reassuring him I'll be fine and won't be go long. Ryder, now looking lovingly at his mate, listens to her and sits back down.

I shake my head at how whipped he already is over Caitlyn. My stroll through the woods—to what I mow have nicknamed "the village"—is a quick one since the sun is shining brightly and there isn't a hint of gray clouds. The fresh snow from last night crunches beneath my boots, and the sun probably won't melt the snow until a few days.

With fresh paint, the front houses look like they were just built, but as I walk more and more, the houses seem to become worn down from weather and age. No kids are outside playing in the snow around these houses, despite today being a Saturday.

I seem to reach the last house, which doesn't look so bad. I turn around on my heel and surprisingly look down on all the houses I have walked by or seen. The last house is on a slight hill, and if I keep looking forward, I can see the teeny tiny top of the big, mansion styled home I live in above the tops of the trees.

I plan on following the path I have already walked, but something inside me wants to turn around and keep walking past the house and forward. I contemplate my options; the curious side of me wins. I pass the red brick house and take my time down the small hill. I'm heading towards even more trees.

This place must be in the middle of a forest because I see a damn tree in front of me everywhere I turn. The trees are more crammed together than all the other ones, and squirrels scatter up the large tree trunks when I stomp by. I almost get slapped in the face by a tree branch.

When I walk past the trees, I'm highly confused by the snowed covered plain then the two story buildings with snow atop the roofs and smoke coming out of the brick chimneys. The back of the buildings look like shop exits, and I wonder if they truly are

I find myself walking between one of the tiny openings between two buildings. My back is pressed against the brick wall and I slowly take my time sliding to the right. The crack of light gets brighter the closer I get to the opening, and when I finally do exit, I'm met with walking strangers entering and exiting the buildings or just walking on the sidewalks.

Seconds pass when the strangers glance my way, furrowing their eyebrows but continuing to walk. Some begin to whisper. Some completely ignore me. I carefully following the small crowd and take in everything I can.