Chapter 10

~Dipper~

"You said what!?"

I winced. "I'm sorry, Great Uncle Stanley.

He sighed. "Look, kid," he said in a gentler tone. "My brother may be a jerk at times, but he's also a genius. He knows what he's doing."

"Not when he's drunk," I mumbled.

"It was an experiment gone wrong, Dipper," he said putting a hand on my shoulder. I winced involuntaraly. Stanley drew his hand back. "That's why he drinks. He just wants to forget what happened."

"What did happen?" I asked, curious.

Stanley shrugged. "Your grandfather is a man of many mysteries and he's good at keeping secrets that he doesn't want to come out. Ford may be a drunken lunitic at times, but we're still family. When he comes to get you, I'll make sure he never touches a bottle again."

"Really?" I asked.

Stanley nodded. "See ya kiddo." He ruffled my hair affectionetly. "Night."

"Night Great Uncle Stanley."

"And kid," he said.

"Yeah?"

"Call me Grunkle Stan."

"Okay. Night Grunkle Stan."

~

When I got to my room, I realised I was sharing one with Mabel. She was sound asleep in her bed on the right side of the room. I collapsed on a bed of mattresses and blankets with a sigh. It had been a long day for me and I drifted off to sleep instantly.

But I had a really weird dream. I was standing in my room back in New York. I looked around curiously. Everything was just as I left it.

Suddenly, there was a bright light. I had to squint to see what was coming out of it. It was a yellow triangle. My heart dropped. It was the same thing that Gideon had summoned back in New York!

"Who are you?" I asked. "And what are you doing in my head?"

"Well," said the demon. "I'm Bill Cipher and that little marienet puppet summoned me into the mindscape. I had to park somewhere and your mind was the closest and brightest thing around. I'm a dream demon, so that's kinda my area of experties."

I swollowed. "S-so you're in my head!? How is that humanly possible?!"

"It's not!" The demon said with a snicker. "But who said anything about me being human. I am a demon after all!"

"B-but...how...why-"

"Relax, kid," Bill said. "Take a seat and I'll explain everything." A comfortable looking chair appeared behind me. I swollowed and sat down. "So are you just gonna keep talking to me in my head?"

"Only when your asleep," the demon said. "It's kinda how I work. During the day, I'll be sorting through your memories."

"What!?"

"Nice talking to you kid." He grabbed the edge of the chair and flipped it over. I screamed as the floor disapeared beneith me and I was tumbing through space and time.

~Mabel~

Dipper looked a little shaken up the next morning, but what did I know? I only knew him for a day. But he looked the same way I looked when I had a secret that I didn't want anyone to find out about. Like still owning my stuffed animals and playing with them.

"Morning, brother," I said cheerfully.

"Morning Mabel," I said.

"So, you want me to show you the book after breakfast?"