Chapter 20

~Dipper~

After Bill left my mind, I grew happier than I have in a while. I had more fun with Mabel, even if it was doing girly stuff with her. I even enjoyed cleaning. I hung out with Wendy more and grew somewhat comforable around Wendy. Sure, my breath still caught in my throat when she smiled. Sure, I almost wet myself when she laughed. But I could somewhat keep up a conversation with her.

The only thing that would make Gravity Falls an ideal home is if Gideon was gone.

He had become very popular with the citizens of Gravity Falls. They all thought he was adorable. It made me hate his guts even more then I already did, which is saying a lot since he had already been on the top of that scale.

I hate to admit it, but Mabel was the one who kept him off my back. Bribing him with fake dates, giving him strands of hair, even kissing him on the cheek once or twice, which made us both gag.

The bribes worked for a little bit, but Foreign soon caught on. We had to take him on a hunting trip.

I decided to pick the most boring thing in the book to find. Troll's toe fungus. We packed and set off on our journey. I lead the way, but I still saw Gideon trying to hold Manuel's hand. She would pull away like nothing happened. I seriously wanted to punch Gideon in the face, but I couldn't get up the courage to. It was lame.

Finally we found the place the book said it would be. It smelled awful. I thought Gideon would turn back when he smelled it, but it didn't seem to bother him. He elbowed his way so he would the be first one to discover this wonder. I rolled my eyes and followed him, holding my shirt over my nose. Mabel, on instinct, grabbed onto the back of my vest. She was the only person who I didn't mind touching me. I mean, I still wouldn't hold her hand or anything, but instead of her touch being uncomfortable, it was reassuring.

"What?" Video shouted from a little farther ahead. "We went all this way for this?" I smiled quietly to myself and followed him around the corner.

An ugly green colored mushroom was standing by itself, dead grass and plants surrounded it. Gideon turned to me looking mad. "I want you to take me on a real adventure!" He grabbed the journal out of my hands and flipped through it. He smiled when he found something. "Here!" He turned and walked away from the mushroom. Mabel glanced at me and I shrugged. What was this kid planning? "This better not get us killed," I muttered. Then I followed him.

I considered leaving him and letting him get lost in the vast woods, but Stanford would kill me if I lost his book. Mabel let her hand drop from my vest. "Were do you think we're going?" Mabel asked, coming up besides me.

I shrugged. "Can't be anywhere good. He probably found a thing that can give him power or something. We'd better not lose him." I turned to catch up to Gideon, but he was no where to be seen. "Um, where'd he go?"

Mabel groaned. "Great. Just great."

~

We found Gideon a half hour later. He looked rather calm, even though he had been by himself in the darkening woods. Neither Mabel nor I were very happy to see him, but the book was safe. I snatched it back from him. "What was that all about?"

Gideon shrugged. "Didn't find nothing."

I knew he was lying, but I decided not to prod. He wouldn't tell my anyways. "Let's just go home." I tucked the book under my arm and turned to leave. Suddenly, something stopped me. I tried to move, but my limbs wouldn't listen to me. I glanced down to see myself eveloped in a strange green light. "What the he-"

Gideon cut me off with a cakle. I was lifted into the air and turned upside down, facing Gideon and Mabel. My sister was trapped in the same light I was. Gideon kept on giggling. He reached out and started stroking Mabel's hair. "Gideon! Get your hands off her, you bast-"

Gideon clenched his fist, cutting off my air supply. I gasped for air, but it was denied. If I didn't get air, I would die. I would have started hyperventilating if I wasn't being held in place. This was too much like when Ford used to hurt me. Memories flooded my mind on how many times this had happened when Ford was drunk.

"Stop it, Gideon! Your killing him!" Mabel yelled.

"Yes, and after he's gone, you'll be all mine!" Gideon said, a crazy look in his eyes. "Unless, you join me willingly." He started to stroke her hair again.

"You creep!" Mabel yelled. "I'll never go with you!"

"Well than, get ready to become an only child." My vision blurred and black dots came into my vision. Tears sprung to my eyes and fell to the grass below.

"Fine!" Mabel yelled. "I-I'll go with you."

"N...o..." I tried to gasp out. "He...s....ly....i...ng"

I was ignored. "Goody!" Gideon squeeked. The pressure on my throat lessened and I took a deep, shaky breath. He let Mabel go and held out his hand.

Mabel smiled at him and reached out to take it. I felt powerless. I couldn't find my voice or do anything to stop this from happening.

Suddenly, Mabel's open hand turned into a fist and she hit Gideon square in the jaw. He was surprised by the sudden action and fell on his butt. Mabel grabbed a stone out of Gideon's hand, which I assumed was where the magic had come from. As Gideon was dazed, Mabel slowly brought me upright and set me down. Then she threw the stone down, destroying it. She wrapped me in a hug. "Oh, gosh! Are you hurt? Can you breath? Are you going into shock? Are you-"

I wrapped my arms around Mabel and burried my head in her shoulder. No secrets, I told myself. "I started hyperventilating, but I'm okay now. Are you alright?"

She nodded. "Did...did it bring back...memories?"

I nodded. Tears threatened to spill, but I wouldn't let them.

A groan broke up our sibling moment. We both turned to see Gideon standing back up. "You'll pay for this, Pines! I'll have my queen and you'all be dead, Dipper. Ya here? Dead!" And with that, he turned and ran off into the middle of the woods.

I picked up the journal, unfazed by the death threats. He used to shout them at me all the time in New York. I knew he couldn't kill me. Not with Mabel around. I knew she'd have my back through thick and thin. I steeled myself for what I was about to do and took Mabel's hand. She understood the feat and smiled. I'd refused to touch anyone ever since Ford hit me. I hated physical contact, but after a near-death experience, I was glad that Mabel I had Mabel. I was suddenly really happy that all my attempted suicides failed. I clung to Mabel like a lifeline as we walked home.

Home. I smiled at the word.

~

Aha! An update!
Thank you guys so much for all the encouragement on my last author's note. It really helped!!

Hope you guys liked this and I hope it's not too rushed.

I would have updated sooner, but I had to read a chapter of Lord of the Flies for an English assignment. We just started it today and I'll just say its...interesting.